We’ve introduced multi-factor authentication (MFA) backup codes so you can reset your MFA without having to call the Service Desk.
What is a backup code?
A backup code is a one-time-use code that will help you reset your MFA. If you’re locked out of your account because your phone is lost, damaged, or replaced, or if you’ve accidentally deleted the Okta Verify app, you can now use a backup code to reset your MFA and get back into your account.
Get your backup codes
- Go to the backup code generation tool
- Select Generate my backup codes for a new set of codes. The codes in the image below are samples only.
- Store them safely using email, print or download options provided. Each backup code can be used only once, so take note of which codes you have used.
Reset MFA using a backup code
If you’re locked out of your account, you can reset your MFA and get back to your account with these steps.
- Access the self service MFA reset tool. We recommend you bookmark this URL for future use.
- Select Continue.
- Enter your Monash email address and password.
- Select Backup Codes from the list of factors to verify.
- Enter a backup code.
- You’ll be shown a list of MFA factors available to you. Select an option to reset, and follow the on-screen prompts.