Student organised international placement
If you have organised an placement that is relevant to your law studies, you may be eligible to receive funding through the law Faculty's Student Mobility Fund (SMF). In order to be eligible to apply for an SMF Grant you must first have your placement endorsed by the Faculty and you must meet the student eligibility criteria.
When conducting a placement search, it is the responsibility of each individual to research the integrity of the organisations to which one is applying. Individuals are advised to use common sense when applying for any placement. Monash Faculty of Law do not author, edit, or monitor these advertisements or links to other websites and therefore can not assume responsibility of their content.
Student eligibility criteria
- be enrolled in the Bachelor of Laws (or any Bachelor of Laws double degree) or Postgraduate coursework degree in the Faculty of Law at Monash University and have at least one unit of their law degree to complete at the end of the placement program
- at the time of the placement students enrolled in the LLB or JD programs must have completed at least one full-time equivalent year of law (48 credit points) and achieved a minimum credit (60%) average across their law studies; students enrolled in the LLM (not including the JD) programs have completed at least two units (12 credit points) and have achieved a minimum credit (60%) average across their law studies.
- have the ability to complete the internship without compromising law studies or examination periods.
- be available on return to commit to marketing and promotional activities, including future use of profiles and reports in marketing material.
- the placement needs to be in accordance with the Fair Work Ombudsman criteria. Applications will be rejected if the placement does not meet these requirements.
International Student Restrictions
International students are not currently permitted to undertake internships during semester due to visa restrictions*. However they may be eligible for internships that fall outside of the semester dates and may therefore apply for funding if they meet the eligibility criteria outlined above.
(*This is a Commonwealth Government policy which is currently under review in consultation between Monash International and the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs)
In order to apply for a Student Organised placement you must complete the application google form and submit any supporting documentation via email to email@example.com.
Applications to be submitted no less than four (4) weeks before the internship departure date.
This is to allow processing of your application by the Faculty of Law and Monash Abroad.
Applications after this date are at risk of not being processed.
Student Mobility Fund (SMF)
The Student Mobility Fund (SMF) provides financial support for Student Organised placements that are located interstate or overseas. The SMF does not fund placements located in Victoria.
Note: If the Student Organised placement exceeds three months in duration and there are sufficient projected funds for the current budgeting year, additional funds may be provided up to the value of $500. Students must apply directly to the Associate Dean International and Engagement via email with a request for additional support.
Funding is also available for faculty managed placements.