Monash-Cambridge Degree pathway opportunity
About the Monash-Cambridge Degree pathway
Would you like to graduate with a qualification from Monash University and the University of Cambridge? The Faculty of Law offers a pathway opportunity to study the Master of Laws (LLM) or the Masters Degree in Corporate Law (MCL) at the University of Cambridge (Cambridge).
This opportunity is open to outstanding Monash students enrolled in either:
- Bachelor of Laws Double Degree (LLB/XXX); or
- Juris Doctor (JD)
If successful, you will begin your studies in Cambridge in October (Term 1). At that time you must have no more than four (4) law elective units left to complete in your overall Monash qualification.
Complete your studies successfully at Cambridge and we credit a maximum of four units toward your Monash law degree.
Your application must meet the Cambridge admissions standards for each degree:
Not all applicants will receive a course offer. Applications must include all your Monash unit results.
*All students must have the equivalent of a completed undergraduate degree to be enrolled in a United Kingdom postgraduate qualification. Single degree LLB students are not eligible to apply based on this admission rule.
Students can apply to Monash within the following years of study:
- LLB Double degree students – Fourth year
- JD students – 1.5 years (72 credit points)
Cambridge will not:
- Apply any Monash course credits to their LLM or MCL degrees.
- Accept work already submitted for assessment to Monash.
Before you apply
It is important you review and understand thefollowing points before applying:
- If you are interested in this pathway, you must get course progression advice early on in your law studies. Book a course advice appointment to discuss this pathway opportunity.
- You must adhere to the applicable academic rules and codes of conduct set down by Cambridge.
- If your application is successful you will pay tuition and any other fees to Cambridge each semester or term. You will also be eligible to apply for financial aid from Cambridge (including scholarships and bursaries).
- If you receive an offer from Cambridge it is your responsibility to apply for any necessary visa or travel documentation. Monash is not responsible for you meeting the obligations of any student visa.
- Your Monash degree (LLB or JD) must be conferred before you can graduate from Cambridge with the LLM or MCL.
How to apply
- If you have met the credit point requirement and sought course advice, complete either:
- Once we confirm you can proceed, apply to Cambridge directly for admission to the LLM program or MCL program.
- If you get a course offer from Cambridge you must submit the details to the Faculty of Law via Ask.Monash. We will then enrol you in Monash equivalent units.
- Once you have a course offer from Cambridge and advised the Faculty of this, you will be automatically assessed by for the Law International Study Scholarship.
When to apply
- Apply to Monash by 8 November 2018 for the LLM in 2019.
- Apply to Monash by 15 December 2018 for the MCL in 2019.
- If Monash confirms you can proceed, Cambridge applications close:
- LLM – 5 December Midday (UK Time) (year before course starts 2018 for 2019 start)
- MCL – 3 January Midday (UK Time) (year of course - 2019).
- Teaching starts in Cambridge in October each year.
Provision of Cambridge results
After successfully completing the LLM or MCL programs you must provide the Faculty of Law with an official academic transcript of results from Cambridge. We use the results from Cambridge to apply the final grade of SFR (Satisfactory Faculty Requirement) to your Monash units.
We cannot apply a numeric grade. We will also not take these units in the LLB into account in the calculation of Honours in Law.
Queries and submission of paperwork
Visit the Cambridge website for more information:
The Cambridge pathway is currently supported by a ‘Monash Law Faculty International Study Scholarship’. This Scholarship will support one Monash Law student to undertake one of the three international pathway programs established by the Monash Law Faculty in 2014, as part of the Faculty’s 50th Anniversary celebrations. Please note that no application is required for these scholarship, students who receive and accept their offer to any of the Faculty's three pathway programs will be automatically assessed. Please note this scholarship is dependent on funding.
The Faculty’s pathway programs enable outstanding Monash Law Faculty Juris Doctor (JD) students to study at one of three, and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) students (including double degrees) to study at one of two, of the most internationally acclaimed universities in the United Kingdom: the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge and King’s College London.
For further information please see the Law International Study Scholarships webpage.
For more information about the other two programs, please visit the following webpages: