Impact and engagement
Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index Project
MCFS is collaborating with Mercer and the CFA Institute in the new Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index (MCGPI) project. This is a three-year partnership, starting in 2020. The Index compares a number of retirement systems across the globe and covers almost two-thirds of the world’s population. The Index evaluates each retirement system against more than 40 indicators and produces sub-indices of adequacy, sustainability and integrity. Its annual reports also highlight the shortcomings of each pension system and provide recommendations for improvement.
The MCGPI is a new development from the past Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index (MMGPI) which was sponsored by the Victorian Government from 2009 to 2019. For more information about the MMGPI, please click here.
Project Advisory Board
The MCGPI Advisory Board is a panel of experts representing pension academics and practitioners from Australia and around the world. The Advisory Board reviews the design of the Index, its questions and draft results for each year’s index and ensures media and communications coordination between all partners.
The members of the Advisory Board include:
- Syd Bone (Chair), Executive Director, CP2, Chair of MCFS Research Engagement Network
- Professor Keith Ambachtsheer, Director, Rotman International Centre for Pension Management, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Professor Hazel Bateman, Head, School of Risk and Actuarial, University of NSW Business School and Deputy Director, Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR)
- Richard Boyfield, Partner, Mercer Australia
- Professor Joseph Cherian, Practice Professor of Finance, National University of Singapore
- Professor Kevin Davis, Professor of Finance, University of Melbourne
- Rebecca Fender, Senior Director, Future of Finance, the CFA Institute
- Dr Vince FitzGerald AO, Chairman, ACIL Allen Consulting
- Dr David Knox, Senior Partner, Mercer Australia
- Dr Nga Pham, Research Fellow, Monash Centre for Financial Studies, Monash University
- Professor Deborah Ralston, Professorial Fellow, Monash University, Member of the Retirement Income Review Panel, Member of Fintech Hub Advisory Board (YBF Ventures), member of Payments System Board (Reserve Bank of Australia)
- Professor Susan Thorp, Professor of Finance, University of Sydney Business School, University of Sydney
- Maria Wilton, Vice-Chair, Board of Governors, the CFA Institute, the CFA Institute
MCGPI 2020 report
The MCGPI 2020 report was released on 20 October 2020.
Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index 2009–2019
From 2009 to 2019, MCFS managed the Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index Project, supported by the Victorian Government and produced in partnership with Mercer. The Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index is considered to be one of the most respected and comprehensive benchmarks of global pension and superannuation systems.
Since its inception in 2009 with 11 systems, the Index grew to cover 37 retirement income systems in 2019. The Index has significantly advanced our understanding of how well ageing populations are being provided for throughout the world.
- For the 2019 Index report, please click here
- Asset allocation of pension funds
- Growth assets of pension funds and pension system's adequacy and sustainability
- The Australian superannuation system
- 20 October 2020 – Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index - Pacific Launch
- 22 October 2019 – Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index Launch - Sydney
- 21 October 2019 – Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index Launch