Sarah is Director of the Emerging Technologies Research Lab, which undertakes critical interdisciplinary and international research into the social, cultural and experiential dimensions of the design, use and futures of new and emerging technologies. She has a joint appointment across the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture and the Faculty of Information Technology.
Her research focuses on emerging intelligent technologies, automation, data, digital futures, safety and design for wellbeing. Current projects investigate autonomous driving vehicles, Mobility as a Service, digital energy futures, self tracking and wearable technologies, smart phone and personal technology futures, digital technology use in everyday life, and health care design.
Sarah is a world leading Design Anthropologist, known for her development of innovative digital, visual and sensory research and dissemination methodologies, which she engages in interdisciplinary projects with design, engineering and creative practice disciplines to engage with contemporary issues and challenges. She has over 20 years experiences of working with academic and industry research partners internationally and frequently gives keynote and public lectures in academic and business environments internationally. She has published numerous academic books, peer referred journal articles and book chapters.
Sarah's research has been funded by national research councils in Australia, UK, Sweden and Spain, and the EU, and through industry partnerships internationally.
- Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision Making + Society
- The Living Lab: Designing the Future of Aged Care
- Net Zero Precincts: an interdisciplinary approach to decarbonising cities
- Future Cities- City of Melbourne partnership
- Workers in transition through automation, digitalization and robotization of work (AUTOWORK)
- Child protection and social distancing: social work during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Intelligent home solutions for independent living
- Re-humanising automated decision making
- Design for wellbeing
- Digital energy futures: forecasting changing residential energy demand
- E-waste futures
- Co-designing future smart mobilities services
Advisory Boards and Committees
- Associate Director of Consumers theme, Melbourne Energy Institute
- Advisory Board Member of the Data Society research program, Malmö University (2020-2023)
- Advisory Board Member of Private Lives: Embedding Sociality at Digital 'Kitchen-tables'. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council, University of Oslo (2020-2023)
- Advisory Board Member of BioMe: Existential challenges and ethical imperatives of biometric AI in everyday lifeworlds, Uppsala University. Funded by WASP-HS, Sweden (2019-2024)
- Advisory Board Member of Uppsala Informatics and Media Hub for Digital Existence
- Advisory Group Member of Chinese-Language Digital/Social Media in Australia: Rethinking Soft Power (2020-2023)
- Advisory Group Member of Waste Society: Living with Material Overflows, University of Lapland. Funded by the Finnish Academy (2018-2021)
- Advisory Group Member of Living with Nordic Light, Mikel Bille, Roskilde University (2018-2020)
- International Reference Group Member of Machine Vision in Everyday Life: Playful Interactions with Visual Technologies in Digital Art, Games, Narratives and Social Media. University of Bergen, Norway (2018-2023)
LinkedIn Sarah Pink