Transfer to Monash Law from another university

If you are currently studying at another university in Australia, you may be eligible to apply to study Law at Monash.

You can enter a single or double degree with Law and may be eligible to receive credit for previous study. For a double degree, you must check with the relevant faculty at Monash to ensure you meet their entry requirements. You may also be able to complete your double degree in the minimum time for that degree.

Entry requirements

To be eligible to apply, you must have:

  • completed the equivalent of at least one year (48 Monash credit points) and no more than two years (96 Monash credit points) of a recognised undergraduate degree and
  • achieved a distinction (70%) average or better across all university units

Entry to law courses via external transfer is a competitive process and the actual average required in any given year will depend on the number and standard of applications received.

How to apply

Entry into law is different for local and international undergraduates. Local students apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) and international students apply through Monash International Student Admissions. Steps to apply for both local and international students are outlined below.

Please note that provision of incorrect details or withholding relevant information relating to your application may result in withdrawal of an offer or cancellation of enrolment at any stage of the course.

Semester 1 entry (local students)

Australian and New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents and holders of Australian permanent humanitarian visas must apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

You can apply online via the VTAC website or obtain a copy of the application form contained in the VTAC Guide to Tertiary Courses (available in July).

Application deadline

Semester 1, applications must be lodged with VTAC by the advertised closing date in September (refer to the VTAC Guide) for timely application. Late (by early-November) and very late (by early-December) applications incur additional application processing fees. VTAC acts as a receiving centre for all applications, and offers places at the direction of the participating institutions, but selection and enrolment is carried out separately by each institution.

Semester 1 entry (international students)

International students must apply directly through Monash International Student Admissions.

International students will be informed by Monash International Student Admissions about the status of their application.

Pending results

It is your responsibility to notify the Faculty of Law (or Monash International Student Admissions, if applicable) of your results as soon as they are available.

Double degree applications

If you are transferring to a double degree, it is your responsibility to ensure both:

  • you have met the prerequisites for the non-law component of the degree
  • you provide confirmatory evidence in the form of certified copies of academic transcripts.

See the current VTAC Guide for information about prerequisites for courses.

Ensure you provide full and accurate information in your application.