Diploma of Languages
Major in a language while you complete your single or double degree.
Applications have now closed for 2022.
Flexibility and choice
The Diploma of Languages is available in the following study areas and is equivalent to a Bachelor of Arts language major:
- Chinese studies
- European languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish & Latin American studies)
- Indonesian studies
- Japanese studies
- Korean studies
Stay sharp. Broaden your mind with new ideas, new people, new experiences and new cultures.
With partnerships with over 100 universities worldwide, a Centre in Prato, Italy, and a campus in Malaysia, you're spoilt for choice. And whether you go for two weeks or two semesters, there’s a program to suit your interests and needs.
Grow as a person and as a professional. Study overseas for two weeks or two semesters. Discover a world of opportunity in your Major, Minor or Specialisation with us.
Short-term intensive programs:
- Chinese Intensive Language Program (CILP) – Shanghai or Beijing, China
- Le Cavilam French Language School – Vichy, France
- Indonesian Intensive Language Program – Lombok, Indonesia
- Italian In-Country Programs – Prato, Italy
- Japanese Intensive Language Programs – Various locations, Japan
- SNU Korean Language Education Center – Seoul, Korea
- Intensive Spanish and Culture in Spain – Granada, Spain
For information about and availability for all short-term intensives see: Finding International Study Programs.
Semester-length language programs:
Gain up to 24 credit points with overseas study towards a language major at a suitable host institution, that either has an exchange agreement with Monash Abroad or any other approved tertiary institutions.
- China: Tsinghua University, Peking University, Nanjing University, Zhejiang University, Sun Yat-Sen University, Shanghai Jiaotong University and many more
- France: Sciences Po Paris, Lyon III, Sorbonne Paris III and the Université François Rabelais in Tours
- Germany: We have agreements with universities across Germany including in Berlin, Munich, Cologne and Heidelberg
- Indonesia: Programs are run through our membership with the Australian Consortium for ‘In-country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS)
- Italy: Universities of Bologna and Florence; and students enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts/Business may also study at Bocconi University (Milan) and at the University of Turin
- Japan: University of Tokyo, Hitotsubashi University, Ochanomizu University, University of Tsukuba, Saitama University, Chiba University, Nagoya University, Osaka University, Waseda University, Seikei University, Meiji Gakuin University and Rikkyo University
- Korea: Korea University, Korean Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, Seoul National University, Sogang University, Sungkyunkwan University, Yonsei University
- Spain: Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid and the University of Navarra
- Europe – Grade Conversion Table (PDF)
- Asia – Grade Conversion Table (PDF)
- Americas – Grade Conversion Table (PDF)
For advice about your eligibility to undertake the Program and how it fits into your course, please contact:
Faculty of Arts
2nd Floor, South Wing,
Menzies Building 11
20 Chancellors Walk
Monash University, Clayton campus
Room B333, Level 3
Building B, Caulfield campus
Monash University, Caulfield campus
Phone: 1800 MONASH (666 274)