Monash Arts has the most extensive overseas study opportunities of any university in Australia. Whether you go for two weeks or two semesters, there’s a program to suit your interests, curiosities and study needs. We have partnerships with more than 150 universities worldwide, a study centre in Prato, Italy, and a campus in Malaysia; and all our undergraduate degree and associated double degree students have access to our groundbreaking Global Immersion Guarantee (GIG).
Studying overseas gives you an edge
Research shows that students with international study experience:
- have better grades throughout their degree
- are more employable once they graduate
- earn more throughout their career.
You’ll expand your worldview through experiencing different cultures and ways of doing things. You’ll build your self-confidence, and be more adaptable and independent. You’ll also develop skills in effective communication, collaboration and time management.
Where can I go?
Arts study tours programs vary in length from two to four weeks. They’re taught intensively so you can complete a full unit in that time. Another bonus is that they run between semesters, which means you can continue to travel after completing your program and you could finish your degree sooner. Some examples of what you could do include:
- creating journalism stories while joining the Engineers Without Borders study tour of Cambodia
- undertaking archaeological fieldwork and excavation in Italy
- jamming with jazz masters in New York
- engaging with cultural identities while considering the key challenges they face in Cuba today
- mastering Mandarin in China
- comparing crime and social control in the USA or Asia
- unravelling genocide in Europe.
Arts semester in Prato
Make the Monash Prato Centre your European study base. Close to Florence in the picturesque landscape of Tuscany, the Monash Prato Centre is located in the beautiful 18th-century Palazzo Vaj right in the centre of Prato. The program is flexible, immersive and enriching. Divided into three-by-four-week intensive blocks, you can study for the full 12 weeks or take the option of including some travel time and study for four or eight weeks.
Embrace the opportunity to learn from some of the world’s most renowned international scholars as you study fascinating subjects such as:
- intensive introductory Italian language
- cultural diversity in contemporary Europe
- the Renaissance in Florence
- global connections: understanding cultural literacy
- exploring Tuscany, tradition, innovation and sustainability.
Intensive language programs
Studying overseas as part of your language major is a great way to immerse yourself in your chosen language and culture. Monash Arts offers a variety of faculty-led and endorsed language programs available to language students for credit.
Intercampus exchange to Monash Malaysia
Established in 1998 in Bandar Sunway (18 kilometres from Kuala Lumpur), Monash Malaysia is Monash’s first international campus. Intercampus exchange to Monash Malaysia is available to all Monash Australia students, provided they have room within their course.
Exchange to a partner institution
An exchange program involves studying with one of our partner universities around the world. You can go on exchange for one or two semesters. Financial assistance is available and there are no extra tuition fees.
You can choose from more than 150 universities in 30 countries. If your preferred overseas destination is not a Monash partner university, you can still choose to go there. You’ll pay the host university’s tuition fees for the time you’re there, and you’re still able to access financial assistance to support your travel.