Google Workspace is your one stop shop to access all of Google's collaborative tools and services.
Get started with some of the basics:
In addition to the core apps that come with Workspace, Google provides a number of additional services that Monash has made available including YouTube, Google+, Blogger, and Analytics. If you wish to use these you will need to opt-in to Google additional services.
Find out how to get Google Workspace apps on your mobile devices.
- Opt-in to Google Additional Services if you've not done this already. This can be done from the Identity Management Services page.
- Login to your Monash email.
- In a new browser, go to Download your data (Google Takeout).
- All of your Google Apps will be pre-selected. Unselect the items you don't wish to export.
- To get more detail about each App, click on the grey triangle to expand.
- Select the option Include all to save everything within the App.
- You can choose the file format you wish the data to download as (this defaults to a .zip file).
- You don't have to stay on this page if you tick the email me when ready option. You'll be notified by email when the zip file is available. This could take hours, depending on how much data you have stored.
- Once your archive is ready, click download and save to a portable storage device like a USB or external hard drive.
Google Transfer allows you to copy and transfer your email and Google Drive files to another Google account.
If you have not opted into Google Additional Services, you will need to do this first. After opting in, it may take up to 30 minutes before you will be able to access Google transfer.
There is no option to select specific emails or labels, there is only an option for all mail. It can take up to a week for the transfer to complete depending on the amount of email and google docs you have.
Follow the steps below to start your transfer:
- Go to Google Transfer
- Enter a destination account ( this should be a Google email account where you want to transfer your content)
- Send a verification code to the destination account
- Verify destination account
- Select content to copy and transfer. Once the transfer is complete you will receive an email saying the transfer has completed.
- Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird through the Mozilla Thunderbird web site.
- Download and save the ImportExportTools Mozilla Thunderbird extension.
- Start Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Navigate to Tools and select Add-ons.
- Click on Extensions and select the icon that looks like a gear near the top of the window and then Install add-on from file.
- Locate the .xpi file that you downloaded and follow the instructions prompted to install.
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird.
Other email apps
- Extract the .zip file that you've received. Once extracted, several MBOX files which are each named according to the corresponding label in Gmail.
Always remember the location of where you extracted the files to.
- In Thunderbird, click Local Folders and then select Import/Export - Import mbox file.
- Choose the option to import directly one or more mbox files and select OK.
- In the files browser, locate the folder where you extracted the mbox files to in step 3 above.
- Select the mbox file that corresponds with the label that you want to restore and then click Open.
- All emails from that label will now be importing. It will take a while to load all of the emails.
It's important to responsibly manage your apps and any other platforms you've worked across when leaving Monash.
You should remember to do the following:
- Transfer ownership of any shared data that is still required by others
- Delete any shared data that is no longer required
- Export personal data so you can retain it
- Get info about retention and disposal of University records
Your Google Apps account is likely to contain official University records that may need to be archived or transferred to other storage mediums. Contact the Service Desk.
- Download and install the Google Chrome browser if you don’t already have it.
- Once Chrome is installed you can choose to Download the setup file (staff) or Download the setup file (students)
- To start the installation, select Run. (If your computer prompts you with a security question, select Run.
- Select Close once finished.
- Choose the new Google icons you want as shortcuts on your desktop, and open your Monash email account.
- Select Yes when asked if you would like to make Google Mail your default mail client (this will only happen the first time)
- Select OK to confirm.
- Login using your Authcate username and password.
Google Workspace for Education
Core services are at the heart of Google’s educational offering to education institutes.
The following core services are provided under the Google Workspace for Education agreement:
- Gmail (including Inbox by Gmail)
Google Privacy Policies outline the treatment of your personal information.
Your use of any internally or externally hosted IT services must be in accordance with Monash University’s IT Acceptable Use Policy (pdf).