Hagemeyer Group - NanoBiotechnology
Key terms: Molecular Imaging, Drug Delivery, Nanotechnology, Biotechnology
2021 group L-R: Dr Erik Westein, Dr Be'eri Niego, Professor Christoph Hagemeyer, Dr Rong Xu, Mr Saeedreza Zeibishirejini
Absent: Ms Kreity Ale, Ms Akshita Rana, Mr Bamlaku Walie,
Our main theme is the development of "bio-better" antibodies with added functionality for the treatment of thrombosis, inflammation, diabetes and cancer. Using specifically modified recombinant antibodies we can deliver small molecules, therapeutic oligos, proteins and nanoparticles with high precision and reduced adverse effects. We can achieve this with a new bio-enzymatic conjugation method allowing site-specific attachment of nano-sized delivery scaffolds without affecting antibody function. We are also active in the molecular imaging area. Using targeted natural nanoparticles, we would like to significantly increase the number of imaging labels per antibody in MRI and PET/SPECT as well as photoacoustic and fluorescence imaging. This can increase the detection limit of current approaches.
Prof Christoph Hagemeyer and Dr Erik Westein explain the research to stop pathological blood clotting. See video
- Targeted virus particles for gene therapy
- Single-chain antibody-targeted nanoparticles for therapy and diagnosis
- Recombinant agents for efficient and safe anticoagulation as well as thrombolysis
For current project opportunity descriptions please visit our Honours page
Publications and Projects
See recent publications for Christoph Hagemeyer in the Monash RSS feed immediately below, at Google Scholar 'Christoph Hagemeyer'.
- ARC LIEF Grant LE220100140 (2022): Near Infrared Fluorescence and Photoacoustic Imaging Facility. PIs: Egan, Bansal, Wood, Boyer, Voelcker, Cavalieri, Hagemeyer, Corrie.
- Bethlehem Griffiths Research Foundation Grant BGRF2205 (2022): New clot-busting drugs for treatment of ischemic stroke. PIs: Hagemeyer, Palazzolo, Niego.
- Monash-Helmholtz Laboratory for Radio-Immuno-Theranostics (MHELTHERA) together with Helmholtz Zentrum Dresden Rossendorf, Germany (2021-2025). Monash Investigators: Egan, Robinson, Paterson, Werrett, Alt, Hagemeyer, Tuck, Andrews, Jupp.
- Plan 111 in collaboration with Shandong University, Ministry of Science and Technology of China (2020-24): Discipline innovation of colloid and interface chemistry. PIs: Caruso, Besenbacher, Tieu, Qiao, De Geest, Lee, Eastoe, Nicolas, Hagemeyer, Thurecht, Ashokkumar.
- NHMRC Ideas Grant APP1181440 (2020-23): Self-regulated, glucose-responsive nanomaterials for smart insulin delivery. PIs: Hagemeyer, Cavalieri.
- Biomedical Translation Bridge Program Grant BTB00064 in collaboration with AdAlta (2020-2022): Clinical imaging of CXCR4 in the development of an i-body therapy for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. PIs: Foley, Hagemeyer, Egan, Scott, Westall, Donnelly, Alt.
- NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship APP1154270 (2019-23): Smart targeted nanoparticles for diagnosis and therapy. PI: Hagemeyer