We have a wide range of projects in the pipeline, in progress, or having reached completion. The National Health and Medical Research Council has invested in us via a Centre of Research Excellence and two Fellowships.
CAR brings together over 30 leading Australian and international researchers from diverse but related disciplines. Members are based in eight of Australia's most prestigious research institutions.
CAR supports teams of researchers to pursue collaborative projects and to develop their capacity by providing:
- seed funding and PhD top-up scholarships within one of our research themes
- symposia, workshops and seminars
- opportunities for researchers to collaborate training to the next generation of researchers
- translation of research findings to influence policy and practice in the real world
Improving the assessment of environmental health risks with new technology and novel approaches
This project will answer key questions in assessment of environmental health risks, including:
- how to improve the exposure assessment through new technology and advanced statistical models
- whether health impacts of extreme weathers have changed over time
- whether health impacts of air pollution are recoverable
The findings will provide strategies and supportive evidence for policy decisions to mitigate the health impacts of extreme weathers and air pollution. This project involves global collaborators from more 30 countries. This project is supported by the NHMRC.
Environmental exposure, human behaviour and respiratory health for children with asthma
Calculations based on satellite-derived data will update the knowledge base for assessing childhood asthma in relation to residential green spaces and local climate. The research is of great importance due to the high prevalence of asthma among Australian children. Findings will help health workers allocate resources for preventing asthma attacks and provide evidence for urban planning. This project involves collaborators from several countries, and is supported by the NHMRC.