We're on a mission to remove disposable coffee cups, containers and all single-use plastics from our campuses and we’re asking all staff and students to get on board. To do your part:
- Bring your own clean KeepCup, mug or container to any one of our on-campus retailers when you’re grabbing your takeaway. Our onsite cafés will accept any reusable cup, mug or container as long as it’s clean! You might even get a discount.
- Make time to dine in and enjoy your coffee or lunch at one of our cafés. It’s a great way to take a break, while ditching the disposables at the same time!
- If you don’t have your KeepCup or mug with you, use one of our BorrowCups at one of the selected Clayton campus cafés. When you’re finished, simply place it in one of the many BorrowCup bins on campus. We’ll wash it and return it to the BorrowCup pool for reuse.
- Ditch single-use plastics and bring your own water bottle. Zip taps offering free instant boiling and chilled water can be found indoors. This map shows the location of the outdoor water fountains at each campus. Melbourne has some of the highest quality drinking water in the world. See the link here for more information.
This isn’t just a token gesture – with mass participation our ditch disposables campaign has the potential to keep more than one million single-use containers and cups out of landfill each year.
Ditch disposables is our campaign to minimise all single-use, disposable items from our campuses including:
- coffee cups and other drink cups.
- takeaway food containers.
- plastic bags.
How to ditch disposables
Collectively we can all do our bit:
- Consider your own behaviour and think about the single-use disposable items you use regularly. For example, how frequently do you buy coffee or lunch?
- To start, pick one item you want to swap for a reusable alternative.
- Start using your alternative reusable item. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you forget to bring your reusable item. It takes a few attempts to establish a new habit.
- There is usually more than one option available for reusable items, such as glass or plastic KeepCups. Trial a few options, ask friends what they use and find the one that works for you.
- Now that you’ve got the hang of using a reusable item why not add another one?
- Share your experiences with us on the Monash Sustainability Facebook page or Monash Sustainability Workplace group.
Events and programs
To stay up to date and find out more please follow our Facebook page.
Monash campus sustainability is pleased to announce that Parkville campus is our first waste-free dining campus. We’ve taken inspiration from cafés around the world and developed a Monash three-step approach to minimise single-use plastic food packaging and divert food waste from landfill.