MADA Gallery is a contemporary art space located at Monash University in the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture (MADA). Along with examination exhibitions by PhD candidates, MADA Gallery hosts a program of exhibitions by creative practitioners, including artists, curators, designers, architects and others.
Applications are now open for a year long curator-in-residency program in which you will have the opportunity to deliver three curated programs. The gallery invites applications from non-Monash individuals or collectives, or those from Monash academic and professional staff, current students and/ or alumni.
As a gallery space located within a tertiary school, MADA Gallery welcomes proposals that engage students, connect to the most urgent issues and ideas of our time, or think provocatively and critically about the relationship between exhibition-making, teaching and research. Proposals must consider how the proposed program connects with one or more of MADA’s priority areas of:
- diversity and inclusion
- climate change
- reimagining cities
As the successful applicant will be invited to facilitate three exhibition outcomes across the year, proposals must articulate how the proposed program advances the Faculty priorities.
The successful applicant will be granted three exhibitions during the year, held in approximately April, July and October 2022 to coincide with exhibition openings at Monash University Museum of Art (MUMA), located on the same campus. The duration of each exhibition is between 2–3 weeks.
The total budget across all three exhibitions is $18,000. Applicants are granted discretion to decide how they divide these resources across the three programs. We encourage applicants to also consider sourcing additional funding through grant applications or other fundraising.
The budget must cover the following expenses:
- curatorial fees
- artist, writer, designer, other contributor fees
- artwork loan fees
- transport of artwork / construction requirements
- any publication costs or specific signage for the exhibition (posters / lettering etc.)
- contingency of 10% of the overall budget
In addition, MADA Gallery will provide:
- installation support, comprising 1 day per exhibition plus advice and consultation from the Gallery Manager in the lead up to the exhibitions
- equipment including projectors, media players, speakers, screens, plinths
- Gallery Assistant who can provide administrative assistance and invigilation of the exhibition space on Fridays and Saturdays
- security personnel who will monitor the campus and gallery 24/7
- digital invitation and social media promotion
- line listings in Art Almanac and Art Gallery Guide
- professional documentation of the exhibition
- event opening costs, including catering and wait staff
MADA Gallery facilities
- dimensions are 9 x 14 m (download a copy of the plans)
- track and spotlights available
- AV equipment is available including TVs, projectors, media players, sound systems
- invigilation is provided on Friday and Saturday by the Gallery Assistant and by student volunteers during the week
- gallery hours are Wed–Fri 10am - 5pm and Sat 12–5pm
How to submit a proposal
Please include a maximum of 4 x A4 pages that includes:
- a description of your overall program and how the three exhibitions will relate to one another
- a detailed description of each of the three exhibitions, including:
- a rationale for each exhibition
- a list of artists or practitioners
- a list of proposed work to be included
- notes on how works will be installed and displayed
- an explanation of how the exhibition engages MADA audiences and relates to a tertiary education context and strategic goals, including any proposed public programs
- 5-10 captioned images or similar (300dpi) relevant to the exhibition
- a budget listing income and expenditure and any additional funding you might bring to the project
- a brief CV (half page per person max) of the person/s applying
Please collate all of the above into a single PDF document and submit to: email@example.com
Proposals are due by 5pm Monday 30 August 2021. Shortlisted applicants will be notified for an interview by mid-September 2021.
We thank you for your applications.