Curator-in-residence applications open
MADA Gallery is a contemporary art space located at Monash University, Caulfield Campus in the Faculty of Art Design & Architecture (MADA). Along with examination exhibitions by PhD candidates, MADA Gallery hosts a programme of exhibitions by artists, curators, designers, architects, and other creative practitioners.
Applications are now open for a year long curator in residency programme in which you will have the opportunity to deliver three curated exhibitions. The application process is open to anyone. The gallery welcomes applications from Australian and international practitioners, including those from Monash academic and professional staff, current students, and alumni.
As a gallery space located within a tertiary school, MADA Gallery welcomes proposals that are speculative, propositional, and experimental in nature. We are especially interested in proposals that engage students, connect to the most urgent issues and ideas of our time, or think provocatively and critically about the relationship between exhibition making, teaching and research. Proposals should consider how the proposed programme connects with the key priorities of the University , including the priority research areas of Climate Change, Geopolitical Security, and Wellness.
As the successful applicant will be invited to facilitate three exhibition outcomes across the year, proposals should both address the individual elements of each proposed exhibit, and also how the three exhibitions combined build upon one another to form a cohesive exhibition program.
The successful applicant will be granted three exhibitions during the year: While dates can be negotiated there will be some requirements to coincide with key campus activities, such as Open Day in August. The duration of each exhibition is a minimum of 3 weeks.
The total budget across all three exhibitions is $18,000 plus a curator fee of $6,000. Applicants are granted discretion to decide how they divide these resources across the three exhibitions. We encourage applicants to also consider sourcing additional funding through grant applications or other fundraising, and support can be provided with this process.
The applicant also has the option to request the loan of works from the Monash University Collection (managed by MUMA).
The budget must cover the following expenses:
- Artist fees
- Artwork loan fees
- Transport of artwork
- Any publication costs or specific signage for the exhibition (posters / lettering, etc.)
In addition, MADA Gallery will provide:
- Installation support (1-2 days per exhibition plus advice and consultation from the Gallery Manager in the lead up to the exhibitions)
- Equipment including projectors, speakers, media players, screens
- Gallery Assistants who can provide administrative assistance
- Digital invitation and social media
- Line listings in Art Almanac and Art Gallery Guide
- Professional documentation of the exhibition
- Event opening costs, including catering and wait staff
MADA Gallery facilities
- Dimensions are 9 x 14 m (download a copy of the plans)
- Track and spotlights available
- AV equipment is available including TVs, projectors, media players, sound systems
- Invigilation is provided on Friday and Saturday by the Gallery Assistant and by student volunteers during the week
- Gallery hours are Wed–Fri 10am - 5pm and Sat 12–5pm
How to submit a proposal
Please include a maximum of 3 x A4 pages that includes:
- a detailed description of your proposed program, including a rationale for each of the three exhibitions and a brief explanation of how all three exhibitions will work together and relate to one another.
- a brief CV (half page per person max) of the person/s applying
For each proposed exhibition (3 in total)
- a list of artists or practitioners and proposed work to be included
- notes on how works will be installed and displayed
- an explanation of how the exhibition engages MADA audiences and relates to a tertiary education context and strategic goals, including any proposed public programs
- 5 -10 captioned images or similar (300dpi) relevant to the exhibition
- a budget listing income and expenditure and any additional funding you might bring to the project
Please collate all of the above into a single PDF document and submit to: email@example.com
Proposals are due by 1 August 2022. Applicants will be notified of the decision in September 2022
We thank you for your applications and please note we will not be considering artists' self curated solo presentations for the curated MADA Gallery programme.
All enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org