Future Building Initiative
Applied research with built environment industries: innovation, commercialisation, collaboration
The way we develop, design, produce, and operate buildings is about to undergo a radical change. This change will usher in a new chapter for the building sector, transforming the traditional industry as we know it.
The Future Building Initiative sets itself at the forefront of R&D activity in this sector-wide transformation project. Working collaboratively with its national and international consortium of leading industry and academic partners on applied research projects, the Future Building Initiative plays a critical translational role between research and industry.
A key part of this project is to conceptualise and implement a more industrialised approach to building; an approach that will more fully utilise emerging opportunities in technology, advanced processes, and the latest thinking.
The Future Building Initiative’s broad thematic interests include:
- integrated digital platforms for building design, development, production, and operation
- advanced manufacturing and Industry 4.0
- advanced materials and systems
- digital and automated fabrication technologies
- mass customisation
- business innovation, incubation, and commercialisation
- built environment policy and regulation
- education and training of future building professionals
- environmental performance of the built environment
- affordable housing
- housing development models