Occupational Health & Safety
It’s up to all of us to make sure we minimise the risk of fire within our student accommodation. Our fire risk policy outlines some of the rules relating to cooking equipment, lighting, power points and double adapters.
Of course while we need to be vigilant, we want to prevent false alarms too. You can read more about how to minimise false alarms here.
Our lives are full of electrical appliances. So understanding a little about electrical safety can go a long way to keeping you, and those around you, safe. Take a moment to read through our tips on electric blankets, electrical lighting, power plugs and power boards.
Cooking with oil can be dangerous - fast ignition and fire can occur as a result of an un-monitored pan of oil. But if you follow some simple tips, it's easy to keep things safe.
Disposing of used cooking oil
Used cooking oil should be correctly disposed of. MRS also offers a Collection Station where your used cooking oil is taken away to be refined and recycled. More information can be found here.
We take security on our campuses and in our accommodation facilities very seriously. We have a number of security initiatives in place, plus a range of tips for keeping yourself, and those around you, safe.
Hazardous chemicals that are being used or are likely to be used for dangerous purposes or purposes other than ordinary personal or domestic use, are not permitted to be stored within residential premises. Hazardous chemicals include:
- Flammable or combustible liquids (such as paint thinner, ethanol, acetone, kerosene, motor oil, propane fuelled camping equipment);
- Corrosive liquids, acids and bases;
- Toxic chemicals and poisons;
- Oxidising chemicals, such as hydrogen peroxide;
- Compressed gas cylinders (LPG or other gases);
- Explosives; and
- Dry ice.