Single unit study

You can apply to study a single unit (subject) without enrolling in an entire course at Monash. Or, if you're enrolled in a course at Monash, you can apply for a single unit as non-award study outside your award course.

You can apply for no more than 12 credit points of single unit study in a teaching period. This may differ when it's part of study abroad, exchange or cross-institutional study. Other exceptions may be permitted by the faculty.

If accepted for single unit study, you won’t be enrolled in a Monash course or receive a degree, but you can order an academic record (transcript). See ‘Results’ below. And acceptance is no guarantee of future enrolment in a course.

Applying for single unit study is a competitive process due to a limited number of places, which are made available by the faculty teaching the unit.

Where to find unit info

You’ll find undergraduate, graduate and off-campus unit information, including prerequisites, in the Monash Handbook.

Some faculties offer units outside the standard semesters. See summer, winter and October teaching periods.

How to apply

  1. Complete a Single Unit Study Application (pdf, 0.6 mb).
  2. Provide all supporting documents:
  3. Make sure to ask the faculty teaching the unit if there are any other entry requirements.
  4. Submit your application to with the subject line ‘Single Unit Application’ by the closing date.

Closing dates for applications

  • Semester one – 30 January
  • Semester two – 19 June

For closing dates for the summer, winter and October teaching periods, contact Monash Connect.


We'll advise you in writing of the outcome of your application. If successful, you'll receive information on how to enrol in the units.

If amending your enrolment for single unit study, you need to do so by the deadline to avoid fees and fail grades. See Monash University census dates.


You'll be charged at the full-fee rate as Commonwealth supported places (CSPs) and FEE-HELP are not available for single unit enrolment.

Once we’ve assessed your fees, we’ll let you know by email that you can view your fee statement in the Web Enrolment System (WES).


Once your results are released, you can order an official academic record (transcript). For details, see academic records.

If you intend to enrol in a course after completing single units you may be able to apply for a credit transfer.

Related links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help