Holland - Respiratory Care group
Respiratory care group
- respiratory; physiotherapy; pulmonary rehabilitation; COPD; pulmonary fibrosis; exercise training; supportive care; access to care; physical activity; telerehabilitation; clinical trials; implementation
2020 Respiratory Care group. Back row, L-R: Angela Burge, Christie Mellerick, Anthony May, Carla Malaguti. Middle row: Gabriella Tikellis, Aroub Lahham, Narelle Cox, Mariana Hoffmann, Joanna Lee. Front row: Julianna Dreger, Anne Holland, Janet Bondarenko. Absent: Leona Dowman, Arwel Jones.
Our research aims to improve the lives of people with chronic lung disease through novel non-drug treatments and optimal supportive care.
Our work starts with understanding the supportive care needs of people living with lung disease, developing new non-drug treatments, testing these in clinical trials, and then implementing effective treatments into clinical practice. We have a strong focus on pulmonary rehabilitation for people with chronic lung disease. This includes developing new pulmonary rehabilitation models to improve access and uptake (e.g. low-cost home-based rehabilitation and telerehabilitation) and optimizing pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with complex needs, such as those with pulmonary fibrosis. Our research builds the evidence underpinning a wide range of non-drug treatments for chronic lung disease including oxygen therapy, self-management, and peer support. We have strong links to the Departments of Physiotherapy and Respiratory Medicine at Alfred Health, providing valuable opportunities to embed research into clinical practice.
Current project funding
|2019||A Holland, C McDonald, A Mahal, N Lannin, N Cox, G Hepworth, P O’Halloran. Medical Research Future Fund, Australia. Transforming pulmonary rehabilitation to reduce hospital admissions in COPD|
|2018||N Cox, A Holland. National Health and Medical Research Council. Early HomeBase pulmonary rehabilitation after hospitalisation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease|
|2018||L Dowman, A Holland. Institute for Breathing and Sleep. High intensity interval training in fibrotic interstitial lung disease: a randomised controlled trial|
|2017||R Vlahos, S Bozinovski, A Holland. National Health and Medical Research Council. Targeting oxidant-dependent pathways to treat skeletal muscle wasting in COPD|
|2017||A Holland, C McDonald, T Corte, D Chambers, A Palmer, M Ekstrom, I Glaspole, N Goh, G Hepworth. National Health and Medical Research Council. Ambulatory oxygen for interstitial lung disease|
|2016||T Corte, D Knight, G Laurent, A Holland, D Chambers, Y Moodley, E Walters, G Westall, I Glaspole, A Palmer. National Health and Medical Research Council. Centre for Research Excellence in Pulmonary Fibrosis|
|2016||D Brooks, RS Goldstein, M Beauchamp, AL Lee, J Alison, P Camp, G Dechman, S Harrison, AE Holland, A Marquez, J Sanchez, E Skinner, L Spencer, J Sanchez, M Stickland. Canadian Institute for Health Research. What is the effect of balance training on falls in people with COPD?|
- Lahham A, McDonald CF, Cox NS, Nichols A, Liacos A, Rawlings S, Moore R, Holland AE. The impact of home-based pulmonary rehabilitation on people with mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trial. The Clinical Respiratory Journal. Accepted December 18 2019.
- Burge AT, Holland AE, McDonald CF, Abramson MJ, Hill CJ, Lee AL, Cox NS, Moore R, Nicolson C, O'Halloran P, Lahham A, Gillies R, Mahal A. Home‐based
- pulmonary rehabilitation for COPD using minimal resources: An economic analysis. Respirology. 2019; 1– 8. https://doi.org/10.1111/resp.13667 Epub ahead of print.
- Nakazawa A, Dowman LM, Cox NS, McDonald CF, Hill CJ, Lee AL, Holland AE.
- Factors predicting progression of exercise training loads in people with interstitial lung disease. ERJ Open Research. Accepted August 3 2019.
- Tarrant B, Snell G, Ivulich S, Button BM, Thompson BT, Holland AE. Dornase alfa during lower respiratory tract infection post lung transplantation: a randomized controlled trial. Transplant International, In Press, published online 10th January 2019, doi: 10.1111/tri.13400.
- Liang J, Abramson MJ, Russell G, Holland AE, Zwar NA, Bonevski B, Mahal A, Eustace P, Paul E, Phillips K, Cox NS, Wilson S, George J. Interdisciplinary COPD intervention in primary care: cluster randomised controlled trial. European Respiratory Journal 2019; 53(4), pii: 1801530.
- Ward N, Stiller K, Rowe H, Morrow S, Morton J, Greville H, Holland AE. Airway Clearance by Exercising in mild Cystic Fibrosis (ACE-CF): a feasibility study. Respiratory Medicine, 2018; 142:23-28. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2018.07.008.
- Tarrant B, Button BM, Thompson B, Snell G, Holland AE. The timing and extent of acute physiotherapy involvement following lung transplantation. An observational study. Physiotherapy Research International, 2018; 23(3): e1710
- Lahham A, McDonald CF, Mahal A, Lee AL, Hill CJ, Burge AT Cox NS, Moore R Nicolson C, O'Halloran P, Gillies R, Holland AE. Home-based pulmonary rehabilitation for people with COPD: a qualitative study reporting the patient perspective. Chronic Respiratory Disease, 2018; 15(2) 123-130. doi: 10.1177/1479972317729050.
- Alison JA, McKeough ZJ, Johnston K, McNamara RJ, Spencer LM, Jenkins SC, Hill CJ, McDonald VM, Frith P, Cafarella P, Brooke M, Cameron-Tucker HL, Candy S, Cecins N, Chan ASL, Dale M, Dowman LM, Granger C, Halloran S, Jung P, Lee A, Leung R, Matulick T, Osadnik C, Roberts M, Walsh J, Wootton S, Holland AE. Australian and New Zealand Pulmonary Rehabilitation Guidelines. Respirology, 2017, 22 (4):800–819.
- Cox NS, Oliveria CC, Lahham A, Holland AE. Pulmonary rehabilitation referral and participation are commonly influenced by environment, knowledge and beliefs about consequences: a systematic review using the Theoretical Domains Framework. Journal of Physiotherapy 2017, 63 (2): 84–93.
- Khor YH, Goh NSL, McDonald CF, Holland AE. Oxygen Therapy for Interstitial Lung Disease: A Mismatch Between Patient Expectations and Experiences. Annals of the American Thoracic Society, published online 7th March 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201611-934OC
- Dowman LM, McDonald CF, Hill CJ, Lee AL, Barker K, Boote C, Glaspole I, Goh NSL, Southcott AM, Burge AT, Gillies R, Martin A, Holland AE. The evidence of benefits of exercise training in interstitial lung disease: a randomized controlled trial. Thorax 2017;72: 610–619.
- Morris N, Kermeen F, Holland AE. Exercise based rehabilitation programs for pulmonary hypertension (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017; CD011285. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD011285.pub2
- Holland AE, Mahal A, Hill CJ, Lee AL, Burge AT, Cox NS, Moore R, Nicolson C, O'Halloran P, Lahham A, Gillies R, McDonald CF. Home-based rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease using minimal resources: a randomised, controlled equivalence trial. Thorax 2017;72:57-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2016-208514
- Spruit MA, Singh SJ, Garvey C, ZuWallack R, Nici L, Rochester C, Hill K, Holland AE et al. An Official American Thoracic Society / European Respiratory Society Statement: Key concepts and advances in pulmonary rehabilitation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 188(8): e13-64.
- Holland AE, et al. An Official ERS / ATS Technical Standard: Field Walking Tests in Chronic Respiratory Disease. European Respiratory Journal 2014; 44(6):1428-46.