D. S. Rosengarten Surgical Trainee Research Prize
Alfred Hospital surgical trainees are given an annual opportunity to showcase their surgical research projects. The D.S. Rosengarten Surgical Trainee Research Prize is named in honour of David Rosengarten. David learned his surgery at the Alfred Hospital before undertaking research and post-Fellowship training in Vascular Surgery at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith. He returned to the Alfred and held appointments in the Department of Surgery and the Vascular Unit.
David was appointed Head of the Vascular Surgery Unit at the Alfred in 1987, the position he held until his sudden death in 1994. David was recognised for his encouragement of research, for an enduring interest in surgical audit and his involvement in registrar training. This prize is his enduring memorial.
- The prize consists of a shield and $1000
- Deadline for application: Monday 18 November, 2019. Abstracts submitted after this date will not be accepted.
- Award: 8:00 am Saturday 7 December, 2019
- Venue: ICU Seminar Room, 1st floor, Main Ward Block, The Alfred
- Cost: Free (all welcome)
Who is eligible to apply?
Advanced and Basic Surgical trainees (Fellow/ SET/ JDOC/ Intern) in all disciplines at The Alfred Hospital are eligible to apply and are encouraged to participate. The research project should be primarily based at the Alfred.
The winner, to be decided by a panel of adjudicators, will be announced at the conclusion of a scientific symposium at which the projects will be presented.
Application and format
- The format will be ten minutes verbal presentation with five minutes discussion.
- The panel of adjudicators will award points for the following: originality of idea, planning and design, methodology, analysis, conclusion, presentation and discussion.
- The application should include a summary abstract (no greater than 275 words in a Microsoft Word document) of the project, with the following sections: Background and aims, Methods, Results and Conclusion.
- Please forward to:
- Ms Jane Babarikas,
Personal Assistant, Department of General Surgery
6th Floor, Centre Block, Alfred Hospital
Or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of Mr James Lee, Chairman
- Ms Jane Babarikas,
Further details and advice
- 2018 D.S. Rosengarten Prize program booklet
- 2017 D.S. Rosengarten Prize program booklet
- 2016 D.S. Rosengarten Prize program booklet
- 2015 D.S. Rosengarten Prize program booklet
- Mr James Lee (Chairman)
- Professor Jonathan Serpell
- Professor Wendy Brown
- See more CCS prizes for medical students