|Monash University||1st Prize||$2000 & represent Monash at the International Final (Online)|
|International VYT Final (Online)||1st Prize||TBA|
The Visualise Your Thesis competition is open to currently-enrolled graduate researchers (i.e. students enrolled in M.Phil., Masters by Research, Ph.D. or Professional Doctorate programmes) at any stage of their candidature who are active and attending.
Please note that all entrants must;
- be currently enrolled for the entirety of the competition period (i.e. up to October 2023) - participants who reach completion before the competition period has lapsed will need to withdraw.
- work within copyright parameters of the Competition;
- use the provided template.
Not eligible to enter the competition are;
- Honours students
- Masters by coursework students (even if their program has a research/thesis component)
- Graduate researchers on a leave of absence (e.g. inactive and not attending)
- Lapsed candidates
- Graduate researchers who are employed by the university who may have, or may be perceived to have, influence over the competition outcome, research funding or related resourcing, or an otherwise unfair advantage over the other entrants from the university
Further details about the rules and requirements of the competition will be distributed to entrants upon registration. View the Terms and Conditions here.
Competition Overview View
1. Register your interest (note: registrations are now closed)
- We will check your eligibility
- Once eligibility is confirmed, you will receive a Entrant Kit with information about how to participate, including the PowerPoint template you need to use
- Registrations closed at 11.59pm (AEST) on 18 June 2023
2. Prepare your entry
- Create a 60-second, audio-visual presentation of your research project using the PowerPoint template provided
- All entries will need to be reviewed by MGRO and our Copyright Adviser before submission (instructions for this can be found in your Entrant Kit)
- Entries must be sent to email@example.com for Copyright review by 11.59pm (AEST) on 10 July 2023
3. Submit your entry
- Upload your presentation video to Bridges
- Complete the ‘Submission Checklist’ form (provided with the Entrant Kit)
- Entries must be submitted by 11.59pm (AEST) on 17 July 2023
Entries will be judged centrally by our judging panel. The winning entry from Monash University will be submitted to the International Visualise Your Thesis Competition.
Key Dates View
|23 March||Registrations open|
|27 April||Online Information Session - Watch the recording here and download the slides|
|18 June||Registrations close at 11.59pm AEST|
|10 July||Deadline to receive copyright approval|
|17 July||Deadline to upload your entry to Bridges|
|23 August||Monash winners announced at 3MT/VYT Combined Final|
|October (TBA)||International VYT Final|
Judging Criteria View
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Does the video leave you with a better understanding of the topic?
- Is the research communicated/presented in language appropriate for a non-specialist audience?
- Is the video creative and engaging (e.g. visually striking and memorable)?
- Is the significance of the research clearly explained?
Resources for creating your entry View
Please refer to the copyright guidelines for information on copyright, citations and permissions.
The University of Melbourne has also provided some online resources to assist you with copyright compliance, protecting your copyright, and seeking permissions in relation to the Visualise Your Thesis competition.
Microsoft Office support and training:
- Compress the media files in your presentation
- Are you having video or audio playback issues?
- PowerPoint training: tutorials for all versions of PowerPoint for Mac and Windows
Monash Education Academy (MEA):
MEA have an online Moodle unit - MEA: Enhance your PowerPoint Skills - that will assist you to develop a range of PowerPoint techniques including building charts & graphs, using animations and transitions, and manipulating images.
You can use this training unit purely as a resource, but if you would like it to contribute to your Professional Development hours for the MDP then complete the unit and the assessment task to receive 6 hours credit.
Congratulations to all who entered the 2023 Monash University Visualise Your Thesis Competition!