4.3 Studying away

4.3 Studying away from the University

Refer to the current Monash  University (Academic Board) Regulations.

Written permission must be obtained from the Graduate Research Committee to  pursue research overseas for any period of time, or to pursue research at a  site other than a student's approved study location for periods greater than  six weeks' duration. Requests for research or study away should be supported by  both the main supervisor and head of the academic unit.

Study away will only be approved where the proposed travel is an integral part  of the research program. Some examples of this include: a period of research at the partner institution in a  joint doctoral program; where the student is  attending a conference; undertaking field work or research; conducting  interviews; visiting an external supervisor; consulting with experts in the  field of research; or accessing equipment and other resources which cannot be  found on campus. Study away will not be approved for personal reasons. Where a  student wishes to relocate away from campus, a transfer to external  enrolment should be considered (see Conditions of  Enrolment).

Applications to study away, supported by the student's main supervisor and head of  the academic unit or graduate coordinator, should be submitted on the  appropriate Study Away Form (Monash only). Applications  should be submitted six weeks prior to the student's proposed departure date to  Monash Graduate Education for approval.  Students may be restricted by any relevant program requirements.

Please note:

  • Monash Graduate Education (formerly MIGR) will not approve  backdated variation requests.
  • Students who fail to advise  the University via the relevant form of a return from a period of approved study away be subject to termination  proceedings, as per Section 2 of the Graduate  Research Progress Management Termination Procedures.

4.3.1  Supervision while on study away

Where a student proposes to  study away from the University, supervision arrangements will need to be  specified.

4.3.2  No study away in the first six months

The Graduate Research Committee  considers the first six months of enrolment to be critical to the framing and  establishment of a student's research project. Therefore, requests for study  away during the first six months are normally approved only in exceptional  circumstances. It is acknowledged that in some cases fieldwork, which is an  integral and essential part of the overall doctoral program, may need to be  undertaken during the early months of enrolment.

4.3.3  Duration of study away

In the case of doctoral  students, a maximum period of 12 months' study away may be approved, although  in exceptional circumstances this may be extended to 18 months.

4.3.4  International travel

The University's international travel policy and  procedures also apply to graduate research students. Students are  encouraged to use Monash University-preferred Travel Management  Companies.

Use of these companies ensures your travel options meet the guidelines  developed by the University in consultation with Procurement, Human Resources  and Occupational, Health and Safety. Security and risk management for overseas travel

The Australian Department of  Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) issues  travel advisories for Australian travellers. Students are required to read  the latest travel advisories for the country where they will be travelling and  to attach a copy of the advisories to their application for study away. Travel  to countries with travel advisories categorised as Level 3 ("reconsider your  need to travel") and 4 ("do not travel") will only be approved in exceptional  circumstances and requires approval from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Global  Engagement) or nominee. Travel insurance

All students travelling on  approved study away are required to register for travel insurance, which  can be done online. Successful completion of the online travel insurance form  provides students with a confirmation of cover certificate and an emergency  telephone number if required overseas.

Note: Students who travel to countries where the DFAT warning is Level 4 or above  may not be covered for evacuation expenses should this become necessary. Travel  insurance will usually only cover periods of up to six months. Additional  travel insurance may be required for longer absences. Pre-travel health check for overseas travel

A pre-travel health check is an  important part of planning any international travel. A pre-travel health check  can be undertaken at any of the University's health services or by a private  physician. It is important that students make an appointment sufficiently in  advance of travel to allow adequate time to follow through with recommended health  advice and vaccinations if required.

4.3.5  International students

International students should  contact Monash Connect when  applying to study away. Under government regulations, there are visa  implications for international students and their dependents should they  leave Australia for an extended period of study away.

print version