As a result of improvements in rail material quality and characteristics, the performance of rail welds has become of increasing importance, particularly under heavy haul conditions. Activities undertaken for the rail industry have been aimed at improving the reliability of flashbutt and aluminothermic welds.
Key areas of expertise include:
- International authority in rail welding
- Development and review of specifications and standards
- Qualification testing of flashbutt and aluminothermic welds
- Fatigue testing
- Residual stress measurement
- Metallurgical analysis of weld defects and failures
- Training and auditing of aluminothermic welding personnel
Service outcomes include the development of appropriate standards and procedures, welder training and competency and recommended welding procedures for various rail grades and service conditions.