Wheel Rail Interface
The Institute of Railway Technology has significant experience in solving wheel-rail interface related issues for a wide range of operating conditions, including heavy haul, general freight, mass transit and high speed rail.
Key areas of expertise include:
- Assessment of damage mechanisms in wheel-rail contact:
- Rolling contact fatigue
- Wheel-rail contact modelling
- Design and implementation of wheel and rail profiles
- Development of rail profiling procedures and practices
- Assessment of wheel and rail material behaviour
- Lubrication and friction management
- Wheel-rail noise
Considerable benefits can be gained through appropriate wheel-rail interface management, including reduced defect rates, improved safety, extended wheel and rail life, improved vehicle-track interaction, reduced wheel-rail noise and the development of suitable standards and maintenance procedures.