Information for researchers
Effective engagement is a vehicle that can be used to build resilient relationships between researchers and consumers (people impacted by diseases and illnesses we study and the broader community). Effective engagement can lead to the identification of mechanisms for building community strength and ability to join with the CCS and other stakeholders in supporting the research efforts of the CCS.
- The CCS CaRE program is built on community engagement academic research.
- We implement evidence based, best practice approaches in our work.
- Researchers are supported to work with consumers by the CaRE Committee, a group of CCS biomedical research staff and a Consumer Engagement Coordinator.
CCS consumer engagement approach
The Monash Central Clinical School (CCS) Consumer Engagement Program has adopted four engagement approaches: Inform, Consult, Partner, and Delegate Power. These approaches guide the CCS towards effective consumer engagement to support research work, for improved disease and/or illness outcomes. This spectrum also gives scope and acknowledgement that differing levels of participation are legitimate depending on the goals, time frames, resources and levels of concern in the decision to be made.
For researchers, the CaRE program
- Facilitates CCS researchers to interact and engage with consumers.
- Educates CCS Early Career Researchers and students about the “human” angle and lived-experience of the disease/disorder being studied.
- Aids CCS researchers in understanding the reality and practicality of the consumer “experience”.
- Improves the quality of research undertaken, making it more practical and relevant.
- Complements independent research programs with enhanced knowledge of the lived experience.
- Enhances the reputation of the CCS as open, accountable and willing to listen.
- Facilitates the delivery of CCS research findings to the public and community.
- Humanises diseases and illnesses by providing a patient/carer perspective on the illness.
- Supports the future delivery of services delivered to the target community, in a more effective and efficient way.
- Opens opportunities for philanthropic engagement with the CCS.
- Gives CCS researchers a unique perspective on the health conditions researched.
- Allows CCS researchers to easily realise the significance of their work and feel motivated to succeed.
- Supports CCS researchers to design their research programs to reflect key priorities identified by consumers.
- Provides new avenues for dissemination of CCS research findings to the community.