A PhD that prepares you for success.
The Monash Doctoral Program enhances your research project with advanced training that equips you with the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to:
- Complete your research project with excellence;
- Develop a broad range of skills and professional attributes, and;
- Make an impact in academia, industry, government or community after graduation.
It is a PhD designed to prepare graduates with the skills and capabilities sought by employers, giving you a competitive edge in an ever evolving employment market.
Structure of the Monash Doctoral Program
All graduate research students are required to complete the compulsory module which includes:
- Monash Graduate Research Induction (online);
- Research Integrity (online);
- Respectful Research at Monash* (online);
- Any Faculty or Program induction requirements.
*Note: The Respectful Research at Monash module is only compulsory for students enrolled as of January 1, 2021.
Graduate researchers enrolled as of 1 January 2015 will participate in one of the following three PhD programs, as determined by their Faculty or program of enrolment:
Students are required to complete a minimum of 120 hours of professional development activities:
- 60 hours of activities from Excellence in Research & Teaching.
- 60 hours of activities from Professionalism, Innovation & Career.
A number of faculties have chosen the option of coursework for their students, providing them with a formal unit of study applicable to their field of research.
- Faculty of Business and Economics;
- Faculty of Engineering;
- Program: Public Health and Preventive Medicine (Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences);
- Program: Translational Research (Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences).
While professional development activities are not a compulsory requirement in this mode, all research students are encouraged to participate in these activities in consultation with their supervisors and local graduate research coordinators.
GRIPs will focus on producing high quality graduates by providing an alternative, innovative and engaging research training environment for students undertaking doctoral studies at Monash University.
Learn more about what it means to be part of a GRIP, see what is currently on offer and how to apply.
Selection for participation in a Graduate Research Industry Partnership is based on research excellence and relevant educational and research background.