Travel and other reimbursements

HDR Support Scheme

You are entitled to apply for funding under the HDR support scheme:

  • $1,000 towards costs incurred during candidature
  • $900 towards your examination exhibition and/or production of your exegesis/thesis

Intended spending must be approved prior to the costs being incurred by filling in an application form

Travel/Study Away/Writing-up Away

If you are travelling interstate or overseas at any time in your candidature, you must apply for study away or writing-up away. This shoud be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to your departure date. If you are travelling internationally, you must also complete a Travel Plan.

Candidates on approved travel, with or without travel grant funding, are automatically covered for up to a year by the university’s travel insurance policy if travelling in order to interact with artists, curators or researchers; undertake data collection; attend conferences; learn new techniques; pursue research in specialist archives or collections; undertake field trips, surveys and interviews; or to utilise specialist equipment or resources not available at Monash University.

Travel funding

To assist with the travelling expenses of study away, confirmed doctoral and research masters students can apply for one or more travel grants to a total value of $2,115. This travel funding can be used to reimburse airfares and other travel costs such as taxis, buses, trains and ferries. It cannot be used for conference registration, accommodation, food etc.


To claim reimbursement for incurred expenses that were approved under the travel grant or HDR support schemes, fill in the reimbursement claim form, entering or in the approver field.