Accreditation and registration
Whether you are a new Monash supervisor, or have been a supervisor with us for some time, it is important to familiarise yourself with our Supervisor Framework and understand the eligibility criteria, supervision roles, loads and limits for all supervisor categories. Understanding this information will help you determine which category is most appropriate for you, and provides clear guidance on the requirements of each supervisor category, to support managing your supervisor profile.
In summary, Monash staff seeking to supervise graduate research students, can be categorised as follows:
Supervise as Associate, permitting
Supervise as Main or Associate, permitting
How to apply
Check your eligibility
Registered supervisors must:
- hold a doctoral degree (AQF10 qualification) or equivalent qualification; and
- complete the mandatory registration training: GRS: Registration Module.
Accredited (incl. renewed) supervisors must:
- hold an Academic or Adjunct appointment at Monash University;
- hold an AQF Level 10 (doctoral degree or equivalent) qualification;
- meet your faculty benchmarks for Quality Indicators and Research Active Criteria;
- have supervised a PhD student for a minimum of 1 year full time; and
- have completed the required training requirements.
Understand the requirements
Select a scenario that applies to you.
Apply for Accreditation (including renewal)
All applications require supporting evidence (in PDF form). Ensure you have all your supporting documentation ready before commencing your application.
Three separate documents are required as part of your application:
- Please attach a single PDF document with evidence you meet your faculty benchmarks for Quality Indicators and Research Active Criteria:
- Quality Indicators (Quality of Student experience & achievement; Quality of Supervisor Academic Leadership; Suitability to supervise )
- Research Active Criteria for the purposes of Graduate Research Supervision (PURE report or extract from CV)
- Evidence of completed supervisor training – Training report myDevelopment (Quick Reference Guide).
- Evidence of Supervision Experience – list of current students and past supervision history.
Monash supervisors can view their mySupervision and generate a supervision history report for Monash Supervisions.
If your supervision history is external to Monash, provide this evidence in a document that includes student’s name, degree, thesis title, start and completion year, enrolling institute, your supervisory role (Main/Associate).
Apply for accreditation or renewal of accreditation and provide your supporting documentation. Simply select “New” if you are applying for Accreditation for the first time and “renewal” if you are an accredited supervisor applying to renew their accreditation.
- Accreditation and renewal applications are reviewed and approved by the relevant faculty Associate Dean of Graduate Research (ADGR) in consultation with the appropriate Head of Academic Unit. Please ensure you choose your relevant HoAU when completing the online application form.
- If you are a supervisor from our Suzhou or Indonesia campuses, please refer to the guidance provided above about how to select your Faculty and School/Department.
- You will be notified of the outcome and receive email confirmation once your application has been processed.
Note: Registration is granted and processed once supervisors have met the eligibility requirements. No application is required.
This step is required when applying for accreditation or renewal of accreditation only. Registration is granted and processed once supervisors have met the eligibility requirements.
Simply select “New” if you are applying for Accreditation for the first time and “renewal” if you are an accredited supervisor applying to renew their accreditation.
You will be notified of the outcome and receive email confirmation once your application has been processed.