Accreditation and registration
Whether you are a new Monash supervisor, or have been a supervisor with us for some time, it is important to familiarise yourself with our Supervisor Framework and understand the eligibility criteria, supervision roles, loads and limits for all supervisor categories. Understanding this information will help you determine which category is most appropriate for you, and provides clear guidance on the requirements of each supervisor category, to support managing your supervisor profile.
In summary, Monash staff seeking to supervise graduate research students, can be categorised as follows:
Supervise as Associate, permitting
Supervise as Main or Associate, permitting
How to apply
Check your eligibility
Registered supervisors must:
- hold a doctoral degree (AQF10 qualification) or equivalent qualification; and
- complete the mandatory registration training: GRS: Registration Module.
Accredited (incl. renewed) supervisors must:
- hold an Academic or Adjunct appointment at Monash University;
- hold an AQF Level 10 (doctoral degree or equivalent) qualification;
- meet your faculty benchmarks for Quality Indicators and Research Active Criteria;
- have supervised a PhD student for a minimum of 1 year full time; and
- have completed the required training requirements.
Understand the requirements
Select a scenario that applies to you.
If you are a Monash staff or adjunct and do not (or not yet) meet the requirements of an accredited supervisor, then you are looking to become a registered supervisor. This is an entry supervision category and no prior supervision experience is necessary.
To become registered complete the Graduate Research Supervision: Registration module.
Upon completion of this module, you will receive a confirmation email and your supervision profile will be created and updated with your registration details within 5 business days.
Note: Existing 'provisional' supervisors will be reclassified as 'registered' following the completion of required training.
Your registration is valid for 5 years.
Notification of registration expiry is provided 3 months prior to your expiry date, with instructions on how to renew your registration.
Should you become accredited during the 5 year period, your category and new date of expiry will automatically be updated.
As a current supervisor you may be seeking to become accredited or to renew your accreditation.
To apply, you must:
- Complete the training requirements:
New accreditation applications requires training that consists of 2 parts*:
- Graduate Research Supervision: Accreditation online module.
- GRS: Introduction to Graduate Research Supervision at Monash.
Renewal of accreditation applications requires the completion of: Graduate Research Supervision: Accreditation online module.
Note: All main supervisors must be an accredited Monash academic staff member or Monash adjunct and meet all the requirements of accreditation as outlined above.
- Submit an application:
Your accreditation is valid for 5 years. You will be notified 3 months prior to expiry of your accreditation with instructions on how to apply for renewal.
It is possible for non-Monash staff to supervise Monash graduate research students as an external supervisor. External supervisors may include academics in partner and non-partner institutions and those in industry.
For external supervisors there is no formal application process; however, all of our external supervisors must demonstrate they hold either an AQF Level 10 (or equivalent) qualification or have expertise (research/professional/discipline, etc.) relevant to the specific student project to which they are being appointed. Additionally, we require contact details and affiliation be provided to support an appointment to a students supervisory team and also to be able to create a supervisor profile.
We encourage all external supervisors to engage in training and resources to support quality supervision. The External Supervision learning module, outlines information on resources and requirements of the Monash Doctoral Program, designed to support you in your role.
When you submit your accreditation application you will be asked to enter your Faculty and School/Department.
- If you have an Adjunct position, enter the Faculty and School/Department of your Adjunct appointment.
- If you do not have an Adjunct position, enter the Faculty and School/Department your future students will predominantly be enrolled in. For example, if your specialisation is Chemical Engineering and you will likely be supervising Chemical Engineering students, you would select this as your School/Department.
It is recommended that you also reach out to the Head of Academic Unit for the School/Department that you enter into the form to ensure they know to expect your application. You can find Faculty and School/Department contact details here.
Apply for Accreditation (including renewal)
All applications require supporting evidence (in PDF form). Ensure you have all your supporting documentation ready before commencing your application.
Three separate documents are required as part of your application:
- Please attach a single PDF document with evidence you meet your faculty benchmarks for Quality Indicators and Research Active Criteria:
- Quality Indicators (Quality of Student experience & achievement; Quality of Supervisor Academic Leadership; Suitability to supervise )
- Research Active Criteria for the purposes of Graduate Research Supervision (PURE report or extract from CV)
- Evidence of completed supervisor training – Training report myDevelopment (Quick Reference Guide).
- Evidence of Supervision Experience – list of current students and past supervision history.
Monash supervisors can view their mySupervision and generate a supervision history report for Monash Supervisions.
If your supervision history is external to Monash, provide this evidence in a document that includes student’s name, degree, thesis title, start and completion year, enrolling institute, your supervisory role (Main/Associate).
Apply for accreditation or renewal of accreditation and provide your supporting documentation. Simply select “New” if you are applying for Accreditation for the first time and “renewal” if you are an accredited supervisor applying to renew their accreditation.
- Accreditation and renewal applications are reviewed and approved by the relevant faculty Associate Dean of Graduate Research (ADGR) in consultation with the appropriate Head of Academic Unit. Please ensure you choose your relevant HoAU when completing the online application form.
- If you are a supervisor from our Suzhou or Indonesia campuses, please refer to the guidance provided above about how to select your Faculty and School/Department.
- You will be notified of the outcome and receive email confirmation once your application has been processed.
Note: Registration is granted and processed once supervisors have met the eligibility requirements. No application is required.
This step is required when applying for accreditation or renewal of accreditation only. Registration is granted and processed once supervisors have met the eligibility requirements.
Simply select “New” if you are applying for Accreditation for the first time and “renewal” if you are an accredited supervisor applying to renew their accreditation.
You will be notified of the outcome and receive email confirmation once your application has been processed.