Community and Researcher Engagement (CaRE) program overview
The Monash University Central Clinical School (CCS) Community and Researcher Engagement (CaRE) program has adopted four engagement approaches: Inform, Consult, Partner and Delegate Power. These approaches guide the CCS towards effective consumer engagement to support our research work, for the continued improvement of disease and/or illness outcomes.
The CaRE program facilitates mutually beneficial and meaningful connections between researchers and members of the community who have a lived experience of the disease/s or health condition/s that we study – often termed “consumers”.
Effective engagement with consumers ensures that our translational research aims, directions and outcomes accurately reflect the priorities of patients, their families and the wider community.
People of all ages, diversity and lived consumer experience are needed to work alongside our research teams to improve outcomes for patients. Note: This program does not involve clinical trial participation or sample collection for research.
Levels of consumer involvement are tailored to an individual's preferences and time availability. Different levels of engagement available include:
- Academic research engagement: contributing to grant proposals and plain language summaries of research findings
- Networking: including meet-and-greet sessions with researchers and students, symposiums and seminars
- Media engagement: contributing to the preparation of articles and advocating for research activities at the CCS.
Our Community and Researcher Engagement (CaRE) Committee aims to facilitate valuable and productive interactions and connections between community representatives and researchers within the CCS. We support both the researchers and their community representative partners in a variety of ways. This includes, providing a framework for interaction, links to training workshops and information/training to ensure each partnership is valued and productive. We also run an annual symposium, meet and greet events, online networking forums and laboratory tours for members of the community who are connected to the CCS through our Community Engagement Group.
Left to Right, Top to Bottom
Ms. Ange Bishop, Dr. Michelle Zajac, Ms. Jurie Tashkari, Mr Ken Young, Dr. Karen Alt, Dr. Bridgette Semple,
Dr. Arwel Jones, Dr. Tiffany Rushen, Dr. Loretta Piccenna, Dr. Juliana Silva
Absent - Ms. Anna Steiner, Dr. Matthew Snelson, Ms. Patricia Sarmiento
- Chair: Dr. Karen Alt firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deputy Chair: Dr Loretta Piccenna email@example.com
- Consumer Representative: Mr Ken Young
- Consumer Representative: Ms Anna Steiner
- Consumer Representative: Ms Patricia Sarmiento
- Dr. Donia Moujalled firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Michelle Zajac email@example.com
- Dr. Loretta Piccenna firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Bridgette Semple email@example.com
- Ms. Tiffany Rushen firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Arwel Jones email@example.com
- A/Prof Matthew McCormack
- Ms. Jen Cheung
- Dr. Catherine Carmichael (Co-Founder)
- Dr. Donia Moujalled
- Dr. Cedric Tremblay
- Dr. Fiona Brown
- Dr. Ioanna Savvidou
- Dr. Omar Ibrahim
Social media team
2021 CaRE Committee social media team.
L-R: Top row: Ange Bishop (consumer engagement coordinator), Jurie Tashkandi.
L-R: Bottom row: Dr. Omar Ibrahim and Dr. Juliana de Castro.