Monash Urban Lab
Integrated design and urban planning research for social inclusion and environmental sustainability.
The Monash Urban Lab distinguishes itself through its unique integration of practice-based design and urban planning research. The Lab combines multi-scalar architectural design investigations with policy studies focussed on transitioning to sustainable and equitable urban environments and communities at city and regional scales.
Our research focuses on three areas of investigation. Select an area to learn more:
- Sustainable and Inclusive Cities
- Urban Infrastructure Systems
- Visualising Urban Futures
- PhD projects
Our research into Sustainable and Inclusive Cities includes:
- Integrated housing design, typology and policy research
- Suburban intensification that explores strategic infill, suburban retrofit and new suburban typologies
- Community engagement with a commitment to underrepresented constituencies
In Urban Infrastructure Systems we focus on:
- Water sensitive urban design and revitalisation
- Hybrid natural and built systems
Projects within Visualising Urban Futures investigate:
- Visioning future urban scenarios
- Urban Data Analytics
- ‘Smart city’ data applications in urban planning and design
Candidates undertaking Monash University’s Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are challenged to apply new thinking to interpret – and solve – complex questions. Here are some of the projects they’re currently investigating.
28 Feb 2020, 12.30–6pm
Brunswick Mechanics Institute
New urban planning research from Monash University shows how to transform outer suburban Melbourne communities into ‘20-minute neighbourhoods’.
9 Dec 2019