Last Updated: 24 April 2023
Minimum Entry Requirements
Monash University's Direct Entry Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (MD) is only open to applicants who have completed Year 12 studies (or VCE equivalent) no more than two years prior*, and have not commenced other studies at a tertiary level during that time. Applicants who have commenced tertiary study, including Certificate IV and above, are ineligible to apply for this course and should consider the graduate entry program.
* Applicants who are required to complete National Military Service in their home country are exempt from the two-year rule. For these applicants we allow them to apply up to 3 years after completing their year 12 studies and encourage them to apply during the final year of their service.
ATAR or Year 12 Equivalent
|Qualification||English*||Chemistry||Equivalent Year 12|
|VCE||Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 35 in English (EAL) or 30 in English other than EAL||Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in Chemistry|
|IB||A score of at least 5 in English SL or 4 in English HL, or 6 in English B SL or 5 in English B HL||A score of at least 5 in Chemistry SL or 4 in Chemistry HL||Minimum 39 overall|
|GCE A Level||“B” in General Paper or O Level English or|
“D” in A Level English
|"B"||Minimum of 3 A-Level subjects totalling 15#|
|MUFY||≥ 75%||≥ 75%||Minimum 90%|
#A-Level grades scored as follows A*=6, A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1
English language requirements
Applicants can also meet the English language requirement by taking a recognised English language test, such as:
- IELTS – an overall score of at least 7.0, with no individual band less than 6.5
- TOEFL iBT – an overall score of at least 94, with minimum scores of 19 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 20 in Speaking, and 24 in Writing
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) – an overall score of 65, with no individual band less than 58
All international applicants must complete the International Student Admissions Test (ISAT). ISAT results contribute toward the overall ranking for entry into the course. Applicants must achieve an overall total score of at least 170, with a minimum of 165 in both sections - Critical Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning.
More information regarding ISAT can be found on their website. Applicants should register for and sit this test prior to the application closing date in the year they apply for the medicine course.
The 2023 testing cycle dates are as follows:
- Test Window 1 : 23 January – 03 February 2023
- Test Window 2: 01 – 12 May 2023 (11–12 May are only for re-sits)
- Test Window 3: 31 July – 11 August 2023 (10–11 August are only for re-sits)