Before you apply

In order to visit Australia to participate in a course of study the standard visa that exchange and study abroad students will enter the country on is a Student visa (subclass 500). Before you can apply for a student visa you will need a Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) from Monash Abroad, which we send you once you have applied to study here, and accepted your offer.

Apply early

We strongly recommend that you apply for your visa as soon as you have your CoE. This process must be completed online, and step by step instructions can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website. You will be applying for the Non-Award Sector, which is more streamlined, and NOT the Higher Education Sector. Processing times vary, however, depending on the time of year when you apply and your country of origin.

In some cases, you may need to obtain a health clearance or include your English language (IELTS) test score with your visa application; allow extra time for arranging these items. Before you get started it is important to see what evidence you will need to provide. The Department of Home Affairs provides a Document Checklist Tool to assist with this process, but please read the disclaimer before using it.

Applying for the visa

The visa essentially allows you to participate in an eligible course of study. While there are other visa options which can allow for study, we know that this option works best for Exchange and Study Abroad students to allow you to complete your program. If you are already in Australia, you will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to ensure your current visa covers your program dates for studying.

Be a genuine temporary entrant

All applicants for a student visa must show they are coming to Australia temporarily to gain a quality education and intend to return home after studying in Australia. You can find detailed advice on what evidence and information to include in your GTE statement here.

After you apply

After you have applied you will be able to check for updates via your ImmiAccount. You should also see details of what you can and must do after you apply to ensure you don’t miss any details and have provided everything required. Please note that this entire process is completed via the Department of Home Affairs, and Monash Abroad does not have access to this system.

Visa outcome

Once you have a visa outcome, important information can be found here in relation to preparing for arrival through to leaving Australia. This includes important information about what you can and can’t do when you have this visa, including travelling, working and extending your stay.

The costs

Student visa charges are managed by the Department of Home Affairs. You can find out everything you need to know on their website.