At Monash, we've set up a whole host of support services for you to use before and once you arrive. Orientation makes sure you know your way around, we connect you with study and English language support, and lots of fun stuff too – like clubs and societies, the Monash Overseas and Exchange Club (MOVE) and the Inter-cultural Enrichment Program (if you'll be studying at Monash Malaysia).
Services for all Monash students
Everyone at Monash can take advantage of an extensive range of services.
- Study skills and academic support
- English Connect
- Employment and career development
- Student associations – there's a club or society to suit everyone
- Wireless internet and email – Monash gives you access to free wi-fi on all of our campuses, all the time.
- Student life and support – visit this page for more information on campus life (events and clubs), student services to make life easy (like safety and security, disability support and the library), and health and wellbeing to make sure you're looked after (spirituality, counselling and health services).
- Student services – find out more about services available to students, such as counselling, employment and career development and financial support
- Health, wellbeing and safety – learn more about services available on campus to promote your health, wellbeing and safety
Services just for you
As an exchange or study abroad-er you'll get:
- a Monash academic transcript with grades upon completion – depending on the arrangement with your home uni you may receive credit for the courses you study at Monash towards your home degree
- help finding accommodation
- access to a 24-hour emergency telephone service (for you and your family)
- special orientation, events and excursions to help you find your way and make friends
- lots of support and help when you need it.
What to do before you arrive
There's a lot you'll need to have organised, considered and done well before you settle into your seat for the trip to Monash.
Here's a basic checklist for you:
- Have a medical, optical and dental check-up
- Get travel insurance (in addition to OSHC if you're travelling to Australia)
- Accept your offer and return you acceptance form to Monash
- Obtain a student/study abroad visa
- Organise airport pick-up (Talk to Monash Abroad for your complimentary pick-up, please note this service is only available for students arriving at Melbourne's Tullamarine airport)
- Organise accommodation
- Make copies of all your important documents (like your passport, letter of offer from Monash, Confirmation of Enrolment) and keep one copy of each with you, a second in your luggage and leave another with a friend or relative at home.
We run orientation sessions every semester for exchange and study abroad students. They're compulsory and essential because your enrolment and timetable will be finalised at these events. You'll also have the opportunity to meet other exchange and study abroad students, as well as find out about lots of social activities you can get involved with and excursions you can take.
Find out more about orientation at each Monash campus.
Monash Overseas and Exchange Club (MOVE)
Want to meet other students who are currently on exchange at Monash, or local students who have been or are interested in studying overseas? Join the Monash Overseas and Exchange Club!
The Monash Overseas and Exchange Club, or MOVE for short, is a University club which organises regular social events and unique Melbourne experiences for its members.
Visit their Facebook page here to find out more about their upcoming events and activities.
We're here to help
Monash Abroad staff will be your first point of contact throughout your stay. We can help you with anything from choosing your courses to catching local buses – why not get in touch.