If you are applying to study second and third year units you must review the Handbook entry prerequisites to ensure you have that prior knowledge to undertake the unit. Your home institution will confirm this when they sign off on your study plan so it is important they do that before you apply to Monash.
In the first two weeks of teaching, if you feel your prior knowledge is not sufficient, you can change your enrolment to any of the other pre-approved units from your application, or seek further approvals from your home institution. An email confirming approval for any additions to your study plan is sufficient post application submission.
If you want to change your enrolment, you can forward the email approval directly through to Monash Abroad and we can change your enrolment promptly. You can add and withdraw from units up until the end of the second week of semester.
Please note that after the census date you cannot normally add a unit and you can withdraw from a unit, but academic penalties (and financial penalties for fee paying students) will apply.
There are some units that, for different reasons, are not available to you as an Exchange or Study Abroad student. This is now more clearly defined in the Handbook with the question “Open to exchange or study abroad students?” and answered yes or no. Some reasons why a unit may not open to you are :
- In most cases, 4th year honours units are not available to Exchange or Study Abroad students.
- Postgraduate units are only available to postgraduate students (those who have already completed the equivalent of a bachelor degree).
- In Australia you can study your units across the Clayton and the Caulfield campuses. If you want, however, to study units taught at the Peninsula or Parkville campuses, you must take all of your units at that campus.
- Units offered only offshore (Malaysia, Prato etc) are not available unless you are studying at that campus or centre.
- You are permitted to enrol in a maximum one of your four units per semester as off-campus learning (OCL) or distance education (DE) mode, however, this must be confirmed with your home institution first.
- Most units don't have limits on the numbers that can enrol, quotas, but occasionally there are these restrictions. While it is possible for Study Abroad and Exchange students to study quota units, this is decided on a case-by-case basis.
By following the advice on this page, you can create a study plan with units that work best for you.
Restrictions (by faculty)
- If you enrol in any units other than those coded TAD (Theory of Art and Design) you will be required to complete OHS1000, which is a compulsory online occupational health and safety unit with no cost, class time or credit points attached.
- If you apply to do particular studio-based or theory units at Monash you must supply a folio of relevant work as part of your application. These units include FNA2111, FNA2112, FNA3111, FNA3112, CDS3001, CDS3002, CDS4001, CDS4002, COL3001, COL3002, IDN3001, IDN3002, IDN4001, IDN4002, SDN3001, SDN3002, TDN3001, TDN3002 or TDN4001.
- Language units are strictly sequential and you must fulfil exact prerequisites.
- If you have some knowledge of your chosen language, a language entry level test will determine whether you are placed in beginners, intermediate or advanced units. Visit the Learning Abroad website here and take the relevant language test. You will receive a result via email and you should upload a copy of the email to your application.
- If you wish to study music, you may apply for ensemble units (as part of a group) and music theory units, but one-on-one performance units are not available to exchange and study abroad students.
- Capstone and MBA units are not available to exchange and study abroad students.
- If you are applying to do accounting, finance, economics, econometrics and statistics units (most often coded as AC_xxxx, BF_xxxx, EC_xxxx, or ET_xxxx) it is assumed that you possess a level of competency across a range of mathematical concepts prior to enrolment. Where the Handbook entry for these units will specify the level of maths required for this purpose and you should self-assess your mathematical competency prior to enrolling in these units.
- Postgraduate units at the Clayton campus cannot be taken by exchange or study abroad students, but postgraduate units at the Caulfield campus may be approved. If you are a postgraduate student please ensure you upload your full academic transcripts (Bachelors and Masters) clearly stating the weighted average mark (WAM) and/or GPA with your application for each degree.
There are very limited units available for exchange and study abroad students, and they are only at postgraduate level, not undergraduate
Units with practical teaching components are not available at either undergraduate or postgraduate level.
It is recommended that undergraduate students studying education or teaching at their home institution study elective units where possible while at Monash. The Faculty of Arts has many complementary units which might be of interest, including some offered by the Monash Intercultural Lab or under the Indigenous cultures and histories area of study.
- Exchange and study abroad students are not allowed to take third year design units or research project units. Most fourth year units are also restricted. Exceptions will be made for high achieving students who met the prerequisites and can demonstrate the value to their course in completing the specific unit.
- Undergraduate students may take undergraduate units only, postgraduate students may take postgraduate units only; students are not permitted to take units at both levels at the same time.
- Exchange and study abroad students are not permitted to take the honours, minor thesis and research units.
- At undergraduate level capstone and placement units are not available to exchange and study abroad students.
If you are applying to study Law units you note that:
- Law units are only available if you are currently studying law at your home institution.
- Quota units are not available for incoming exchange and study abroad students.
If you are applying for Postgraduate Law units you should note that:
- As a full time student you will need to nominate 4 units (24 credit points) per semester.
- You will be able to find the list of elective units through the Law timetable web page.
- Students need to check the timetable for unit clashes and different offerings.
- Students need to check all the units for prerequisites and corequisites by searching each individual unit on the Monash Handbook or through the timetable web page.
- Students completed their LLB and/or LLM in a non-Commonwealth country must enrol in LAW5081 Australian legal process and research.
- Students need to enrol in units that are offered concurrently or after LAW5081 Australian legal process and research.
- Please nominate the exact teaching period for each unit in your application. You can find this information through the timetable web page.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery units are not available to exchange and study abroad students.
- Nursing placement units are not permitted for inbound students.
If you are applying for psychology units you should note that:
- Approval for 1st and 2nd semester First year Psychology units is automatic if you are currently enrolled in a tertiary program.
- Psychology units at second or third year level are only available to students with substantial appropriate previous study in psychology and the School of Psychological Sciences has strict requirements for progression at undergraduate level.
- If you are applying for 3rd year units you must have a working knowledge of research design and analysis and have previously written scientific lab reports.
- You can apply to do most units offered under the Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (except honours and placement units) noting that these units are only offered at our Parkville campus and no cross-campus enrolment is permitted.
- If you are selecting these units, you must be studying Pharmaceutical science or a related discipline at your home institution.
- Please ensure your academic transcript shows clearly that you meet any prerequisite requirements as outlined in the unit handbook entries.
- For postgraduate students the faculty will usually review selected units case by case as the faculty will need to ensure you have the appropriate academic background and any project and/or supervisor alignment.
- BIO3021 Marine Biology has a compulsory field trip component prior to the start of semester at an additional cost to students. This is a hurdle requirement to enrol in this unit and students must attend. For Semester 1, 2023 the dates are not yet set and availability will also be based on the COVID situation. The compulsory attendance for this unit is usually in the 2 weeks prior to commencement (February) and registered students will be excused from Monash Abroad orientation.
- SCI3502 - Impact through science 3B is only available to students undertaking the Study Abroad Honours in Australia stream.