Student Social Work Association of Monash (SSWAM)
Student Social Work Association of Monash (SSWAM) an MGA club run by and for social work students, established to support social work students throughout their learning journey at Monash University.
- SSWAM aims to provide students with helpful recommendations to improve their learning experiences in both coursework and field education.
- SSWAM acts as the consultative body for social work students to bring forward their concerns.
- SSWAM seeks to advocate for the needs of all social work students at Monash University, irrespective of background, cultural ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or academic pathway.
- SSWAM aims to organise events for social work students to bolster their social and professional connections.
- Creating opportunities for social support through social events such as Orientation Week and volunteering, thereby providing peer-building opportunities.
- Supporting students throughout their academic journey at Monash University through organising academic workshops, guest lectures, graduate sessions, and future career seminars.
- Advocating on behalf of the student body, SSWAM aims to educate students on Monash policies and their rights and responsibilities as Monash University students.
- Empowering students with self-care strategies to enhance their emotional and mental wellbeing in an effort to pave the way to a more fulfilling university experience and in preparation for their future careers as social workers.
- Enabling students to form relationships with professionals in the industry through networking events and other activities, thereby providing networking opportunities for students.
- Providing resources for professional development to help students make more impactful changes in the social work field after graduation.
- Encouraging students’ participation in social action and social justice movements, thereby forming opportunities for student social workers to participate in national and global campaigns.
Meet the Executive team
- Semester welcome party
- Easter Picnic
- Online movie night
- Cinema event
- Jane Goodall’s Roots and shoots collaboration with SSWAM
- Placement check in sessions
- First year check in sessions
- Individual meetings with students
- Work-ready workshops (collaborated with VAHPA)
- Cover Letter Working Workshop
- Connections in Social Work
- Alumni sharing
- Pebblepad session
“My experience with the Student Social Work Association of Monash (SSWAM) has been enriching and delightful as they have been a great support throughout my social work journey in university. SSWAM has been a massive support for me in providing opportunities for networking through events, supporting throughout academic journeys with informative academic workshops, guest lectures and interactive sessions. In addition, I feel a sense of belonging at this place where you can interact with each other and learn more about practising self-care, especially while facing challenges while studying during a pandemic. - Mahima Oberai”
“The connectedness that SSWAM provided was the best! I truly appreciate the support offered by the hard-working members. I was able to sharpen my skills with the help of the workshops organised by SSWAM. - Sapna”
“I joined the SSWAM at the beginning of my study. I really appreciate the support and social opportunities from SSWAM. The activities and webinars I participated in are informative and fascinating. I met so many amazing people in SSWAM. The committee members not only make positive changes to our studies but also give feedback to the faculty by connecting students and lecturers. Encouragement and friendships are the highlights of this membership. I am inspired and motivated by all the members of SSWAM. Well done, SSWAM team! - Vincent Zhou”
“Being SSWAM's President has been a tremendous and irreplaceable experience for me! It provided me invaluable opportunities for both personal and professional development. Not only have I built a family-like peer network, but I’ve also gained great mentorships and professional connections with different social workers. I have enjoyed all SSWAM-related work so much and am so proud of our SSWAM community! - Erica Lui”
“Being a Vice President of SSWAM has been such an amazing experience. I’ve had a great pleasure working alongside such an amazing team and made so many great memories. We’ve had so many amazing professional development, well-being and fun events bringing all students together, and had a great time making new friendships and memories. Looking back I’ll always cherish the good memories that I have created through SSWAM with each and everyone. - Veronica Charles”
“Being part of SSWAM executive committee has definitely been one of my uni highlights as an MSW student. It provided me an honourable opportunity to support my peers and to work alongside the teaching staff. I almost would consider SSWAM as an unofficial year-long social work placement experience - the friendship and professional growth I’ve gained are simply invaluable. - Ke Xiou Tan”
“I had a wonderful time serving on the committee of SSWAM. If I can think of one word to describe SSWAM it would be “community.” There is an amazing sense of collectivism that is fostered and it is clear that this community mindset makes all members of the club feel acknowledged and appreciated. SSWAM is the right place to be for all social work students at Monash. - Arjun Bhugra”