Dr Peter Miller
Manager of MCEM
Peter started work as an electron microscopist on the QEM*SEM project at CSIRO Mineral Chemistry in 1978. In 1983 he moved to the Department of Materials Engineering, Monash University where he was responsible for the electron microscopy laboratory. Peter moved back to CSIRO in 1988 as an Experimental Scientist to manage the Philips CM30 TEM which formed part of the National Advanced Materials Analytical Centre (NAMAC). During this period Peter worked with Dr Chris Rossouw on the development and application of electron channelling techniques. After completing his PhD in 1993 Peter was translated to the role of Research Scientist. While at CSIRO Peter trained microscope users and carried out SEM and TEM studies on a wide range of materials.
In 2000 Peter joined Dr Steve Wilkins in the X-ray Science & Instrumentation (XRSI) team to work on development of an SEM-based projection X-ray microscope, the X-ray ultraMicroscope (XuM). He provided advice on SEM operation and modelled X-ray generation within a target using a Monte Carlo program that he developed. In 2002 Peter was seconded to XRT Limited, a CSIRO spin-off company, as Product Manager for the XuM. This provided Peter with valuable experience in a commercial environment.
Peter returned to Monash University in 2006 as Manager of the newly-created Monash Centre for Electron Microscopy. Peter was heavily involved in the final design stages and construction of the purpose-built MCEM building as well as in selection and installation of the Centre's eight modern electron microscopes and associated equipment. With the new building, significant increase in number of staff and new and much more capable microscopes, there was a more than eight-fold increase in the number of people using the Centre. Development of operating procedures to manage this much larger activity has formed a major part of Peter's work.
Peter is an active member of the Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Society Inc. (AMMS). AMMS awarded Peter the John Sanders medal for distinguished research in electron microscopy in 1996 and a Distinguished Service Award in 2010. Peter was President of the Australian Microbeam Analysis Society (AMAS) from 1998 to 2002 and has helped run a number of AMMS and AMAS conferences, symposia and workshops.
Areas of Expertise
- High resolution and low voltage scanning electron microscopy
- X-ray analysis
- Monte Carlo modelling of electron trajectories and X-ray production
- X-ray ultraMicroscopy
- Scanning Electron Microscopy Theory Course
- Rossouw, C.J., Miller, P.R., Josefsson, T.W. and Allen, L.J., “Zone axis backscattered electron contrast for fast electrons”, Phil. Mag. A, v. 70, No. 6, 985-998 (1994).
- Josefsson, T.W., Allen, C.J., Miller, P.R. and Rossouw, C.J., “K-shell ionisation under zone axis electron diffraction conditions”, Phys. Rev. B, v. 50, No. 10, 6673-6683 (1994).
- Rossouw, C.J., Forwood, C.T., Gibson, M.A. and Miller, P.R., “Statistical ALCHEMI: General formulation and method with application to Ti-Al ternary alloys”, Phil. Mag. A, 74, 57-76 (1996).
- Rossouw, C.J., Forwood, C.T., Gibson, M.A. and Miller, P.R., “Generation and absorption of characteristic X-rays under dynamical electron diffraction conditions”, Micron, 28(2), 125-137 (1997).
- Rossouw, C.J., Bettles, C.J., Davis, T.J., Forwood, C.T., Miller P.R. and Venkatesan, K. “Location of Zn within the Mg12(LaxCe1-x) lattice by X-ray incoherent channelling patterns”, Acta Cryst. A 57 pp 321-332 (2000).
- D. Paganin, P. R. Miller, S.C. Mayo, S.W. Wilkins, T.E. Gureyev. “Simultaneous phase and amplitude extraction from a single defocused image of a homogeneous object”, J Microsc., Vol: 206(1), 33-40 (2002).
- Mayo, S.C., Miller, P.R., Wilkins, S.W., Davis, T.J., Gao, D., Gureyev, T.E., Paganin, D., Parry, D.J., Pogany, A. and Stevenson, A.W. “Quantitative X-ray projection microscopy: phase-contrast and multi-spectral imaging”, J Microsc. Vol. 207(2), 79-96 (2002).
- Mayo, S.C., Davis, T.J., Gureyev, T.E., Miller, P.R., Paganin, D., Pogany, A., Stevenson, A.W. and Wilkins, S.W. “X-ray phase-contrast microscopy and microtomography”, Opt.Exp. 11, 2289-2302 (2003).
- Mayo, S. C., Miller, P. R., Wilkins, S. W., Davis, T. J., Gao, D., Gureyev, T. E., Paganin, D., Parry, D. J., Pogany, A., and Stevenson, A. W. “Applications of phase-contrast X-ray microscopy in an SEM”. J.Phys.IV France, 104, 543-546 (2003).
- Gao, D., Wilkins, S.W., Parry, D.J., Gureyev, T.E., Miller, P.R., Hanssen, E., “X-ray ultramicroscopy using integrated sample cells”, Optics Express, Vol. 14, Issue 17, 7889-7894 (2006).
- Gureyev, T., Nesterets, Y., Stevenson, A., Miller, P., “Some simple rules for contrast, signal-to-noise and resolution in –n-line phase-contrast imaging”., Optics Express, Vol. 16, Issue 5, 3223-3241 (2008)
- 24th Australian Conference on Microscopy and Microanalysis 2016 Treasurer