Exchange and study abroad
To be eligible to participate in an exchange/study abroad program you must have:
- completed at least 48 credit points of your course at Monash
- only one active semester-length overseas study application (i.e. exchange, intercampus exchange, or campus transfer) with Monash for the same study period.
- Engineering students must complete 72 points at the time of application, however students applying for intercampus exchange can do so after completing 48 points.
- Law double degree students who intend studying law units overseas must complete 72 credit points in total which must include 48 credit points of compulsory or quasi compulsory units from the Bachelor of Laws, at the time of application. Law single degree students must complete 48 credit points of compulsory or quasi compulsory units at the time of application. These 48 credit points of Law units can have been completed at Monash or have been given specified credit from another institution.
- JD Law students who intend studying overseas must complete 72 credit points in total at the time of application.
- Law double degree students who do not intend studying law units overseas must have completed at least 48 credit points of their current course; except for Engineering-Law students, who are required to complete 72 credit points of their double degree course, at the time of application. Double degree Engineering students should speak to their Faculty Exchange Adviser for advice.
- Monash requires a minimum credit average (60%) in your results so far of your current course/s (except Pharmacy and Art & Design which requires a 70% average). Most host universities have higher requirements.
Other factors to consider
- The number of exchange places available at the host university. In the event that no places are available you will be given the opportunity to apply for another university.
- If you are enrolled in a Bachelor of Medicine or Bachelor of Pharmacy you cannot currently go overseas on exchange or study abroad, you can however apply do an Intercampus Exchange to Sunway.
- Some faculties/schools may not permit you to undertake overseas study in the final semester of your course; check with your faculty or school before completing this application.
- If you are currently on intermission you may be able to apply; contact the Monash Abroad office first to check eligibility.
- If you are a Monash part-time and/or off-campus learning student you can participate in the exchange program but must study a full-time load of on-campus units while overseas. Open University students are not eligible.
- You may not undertake any Distance Education or Off-Campus Learning units at Monash while you are on your overseas program.