We hope you have enjoyed your stay at Monash Residential Services and wish you well in the future.
There are a just a few things you need to know before you leave.
Before you depart your room
- Complete a Departure Form
- Update your address and contact details via WES
Complete the ‘Online Departure Form’ within the MRS Resident Portal as soon as possible.
On the form, please ensure that you provide a forwarding address as your mail (not parcels) will be forwarded to you for a period of TWO WEEKS ONLY after your departure. Make sure you advise your family, friends, business and other associates of your new mailing address. All letters will be 'Returned to Sender' after the (2) two week period. Please note that we do not forward parcels for students after departure due to the high risk of mis-delivery.
Important: As mail is forwarded and/or returned via Australia Post, MRS accepts no responsibility in the event mail does not reach the intended destinations.
You should update your address and contact details via the Web Enrolment System (WES), available through your myMonash Portal. This will ensure that all correspondence from the university is mailed to the correct address.
On the day of your departure
- Clean your room thoroughly and clear all rubbish and personal belongings.
- Ensure that all MRS standard items are present in the room. You may use the departure checklist for residents below.
- Lock your door.
- Check your mailbox, clear any mail and remove the lock
- Clear your bike from the bike storage area (if applicable).
- Return your keys to the Administration Office.
After Hours Key Return
An after-hours key return box is available as per the locations below to return your keys when the office is closed.
After-hours key return box locations: MRS
|If you live at||Where to return your keys|
|Clayton Residential Village||MRS Administration Office - 58 College Way|
|Clayton Urban Community||Near the mailboxes in your hall|
|Peninsula Residential||Must be returned to security - Building C, Level 1|
Please do not hand your keys to a friend or a member of the RST upon your departure. If your keys are returned to the Administration Office later than your departure date you will be invoiced for every additional night until they are returned.
Please note that the departure time is 10am on your scheduled departure date.
Charges will apply if your keys are not returned by this time.
Departure Checklist for Residents
If you did not submit a Room Condition Report upon commencement of your accommodation this will not excuse you from your responsibilities. As stated in the Fee Regulations, it will be assumed that failure to have returned your completed Room Condition Report to the Administration Office means that your room was in perfect condition when you arrived and you will be financially responsible for any missing items or damage found in the room.
You may refer to the departure checklist for residents (see links below) to help you ensure that you do not receive any charges for missing items or damage to your room. Please go through this list carefully and tick off each item. The checklist will assist you in avoiding any possible charges before handing in your room keys. You do not have to hand this checklist in.
Ensure that you clear all personal belongings and food from kitchen cupboards, lockers and fridges; remove all clothing from the laundry and bikes from bike sheds. After departure, all communal areas will be inspected and all items remaining will be disposed of.
Take care not to leave any items such as boxes or bags outside your bedroom whilst packing. Doing so is an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) risk and these items will be removed and disposed of by cleaning staff
- Departure checklist for Urban Community (studio apartments) residents
- Departure checklist for Clayton Residential (Halls of residence/Normanby House/Southeast Flats)
- Departure checklist for Peninsula Residential
Cleaning Requirements on Departure
In preparation for your departure from your MRS accommodation, please find below some useful information regarding your responsibilities in relation to ending your agreement and the condition you should leave your apartment in prior to your departure to avoid unnecessary charges.
Please be aware:
Your room must be left in a clean state. All areas of your room, including the bathroom and cooking area (if applicable) must be thoroughly cleaned prior to handing in your room keys. Charges will apply where additional cleaning is required. Costs are as per the University approved cleaning contractor rates. See the Departure Checklists above.
Your room must be left in a well maintained state, in the same manner that you indicated on your arrival room condition report.
The costs of repairing items in your room can be outlined by an Operations Officer. These are direct costs, no additional fees or charges have been added.
Any fixtures that you have attached to the walls or any other surface must be removed and made good. There will be costs associated with repairs if we are required to perform additional repair works to your room space.
You have the option of being present at the time of departure to conduct a joint inspection. Inspections can be booked during business hours (10:00am – 4:00pm, or by special arrangement). You will need to hand in your keys immediately after the inspection.
To make an appointment please email:
MRS staff will inspect your room if no inspection prior to departure has been requested and complete a 'departure condition report’. This report will be compared with your signed ‘arrival condition report’ for any discrepancy in terms of damage or cleanliness.
As part of MRS’ room condition reporting process, any maintenance or cleaning that MRS is required to undertake will incur costs. If there are costs for cleaning or repairs you will receive the following:
- Photos of the affected part of the room or studio apartment
- A copy of your arrival condition report
- A copy of your departure condition report
- An invoice for the costs to repair or clean the room/studio apartment
It is our experience that the majority of residents will leave their room in good condition. If the above advice is followed you should avoid any end of tenancy costs. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com (Clayton campus), or firstname.lastname@example.org (Peninsula campus).
Departing Short Term Accommodation
For staff and visitors, check-out time is 10am. Staff and visitors who leave after 10am will be charged for an additional night.
- Your voicemail will be reset at 10am on your nominated departure date. All read and unread messages will be deleted and the password will be reset.
- Storage facilities are not available and staff/visitors are not permitted to store their personal belongings in residential areas.
- Staff/visitors wishing to bring in their own furniture and remove existing furniture from the short term accommodation are requested to seek approval in writing from the Deputy Director Operations. Approval is only granted under special and extreme circumstances. Staff/visitors must note that removal of furniture, if approved by the Deputy Director Operations will be at the cost of the resident and arrangement by the staff/visitor including the secure off-campus storage thereof.
- Any furniture which was approved for removal by the Deputy Director Operations to be removed from your short term accommodation during your stay must be returned to its original location prior to your departure as per Conditions of Residency Section 3.1
- To avoid receiving an invoice for cleaning after your departure, remove all rubbish and personal belongings from the short term accommodation you are vacating. Please be aware that MRS will dispose of any items left in the accommodation and charges may apply. MRS will take no responsibility for any belongings left behind in vacated accommodation.
- Ensure that you clear all personal belongings and food from kitchen cupboards and fridges; remove all clothing from the laundry. After departure, all areas will be inspected and all items remaining will be disposed of.
- Take care not to leave any items such as boxes or bags outside your short term accommodation whilst packing. Doing so is an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) risk and these items will be removed and disposed of by cleaning staff.
Off-Campus Accommodation Service
If you are moving off campus next year we suggest that you visit our Off Campus Website as it contains a lot of useful information about renting in the private housing market. You may also wish to contact our staff who will be able to assist you with tenancy related matters.
If you are looking to continue the social connections and engagement experience beyond your time at MRS, the Non-Residential Colleges at Clayton, Caulfield and Peninsula provide a supportive social and fun environment with peer support for all students living off campus.
For more information about membership or applying to become a College Advisor visit the Non-Residential Colleges website.
Contact Administration Office
If you have any further enquiries or you are unsure about your responsibilities prior to departure, please do not hesitate to contact your relevant Administration Office on 9902 1500 (Urban Community), 9905 6266 (Residential Village) or 9904 4338 (Peninsula).