Epilepsy and Personalised Medicine
Epilepsy, Neurology, Outcomes research, Genomics, Biomedical engineering, Translational medicine, Precision medicine, Pharmacogenetics
2018 Kwan group. L-R: Professor Patrick Kwan, Dr Alison Anderson, Dr Jianxiong Chan, Ms Flavia Gomez, Dr Ana Antonic-Baker, Mr Xuan Lin, Dr Zhibin (Ben) Chen, Ms Juliana Silva, Dr Michael Erlichster, Mr Sameer Sharma, Mr Abkar Sayad, Mr Shah Mukin Uddin, Ms Rashida Ali. Absent: Dr Piero Perucca, Dr Andreas Pattichis, Dr Emma Foster, Dr Anna Willard, Dr Lubna Shakhatreh, Dr Ofer Gonen, Dr John-Paul Nicolo.
To identify genetic, structural, metabolic and environmental factors that affect treatment outcomes in people with epilepsy and related neurological conditions (e.g. following stroke), and promote the translation of research findings into clinical practice using personalized medicine to improve treatment outcomes for patients.
Our group’s translational research covers a broad spectrum of areas in relation to neurological diseases such as epilepsy - ranging from basic discovery to clinical implementation and health economic analysis to provide the evidence necessary to improve patient outcomes. There is a strong focus on the use innovative approaches, e.g. pharmacogenomics, developing point of care diagnostic tools, clinical utility and cost-effectiveness, and the use of animal models to understand the effects of new treatments on patients with neurological diseases. Although the focus is on neurological diseases, particularly epilepsy, our work has broad relevance and extends to other disciplines.
Current Project Funding
- 2018-2021 Kwan KLP, Petrovski S, Ratcliffe J, Winship IM & Mullen SA. NHMRC project grant APP1143934. Clinical utility and cost-effectiveness of genome sequencing for refractory epilepsy in children and adults: a multicentre randomised controlled trial.
- 2018-2018 Kwan KLP, Petrovski S & Sham P. NHMRC project grant APP1103979. Genomics of antiepileptic drug-induced Stevens Johnson syndrome.
See recent publications via Pubmed search [Kwan P NOT Kwan PP]
- Krauss GL, Perucca E, Kwan P, Ben-Menachem E, Wang X-F, Shih JJ, Patten A, Yang H, Williams B, Laurenza A. Final safety, tolerability, and seizure outcomes in patients with focal epilepsy treated with adjunctive perampanel for up to 4 years in an open-label extension of phase III randomized trials: Study 307. Epilepsia. 2018; 59 (4): 866 – 876.
- Sivathamboo S, Perucca P, Velakoulis D, Jones NC, Goldin J, Kwan P, O’Brien TJ. Sleep disordered breathing in epilepsy: Epidemiology, mechanisms and treatment. Sleep. 2018; doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsy015. [Epub ahead of print].
- Thevathasan A, Naylor J, Churilov L, Mitchell PJ, Dowling RJ, Yan B, Kwan P. Association between hemorrhagic transformation after endovascular therapy and poststroke seizures. Epilepsia. 2018; 59 (2): 403-409.
- Chen Z, Churilov L, Chen Z, Naylor J, Koome M, Yan B, Kwan P. Association between implementation of a code stroke system and poststroke epilepsy. Neurology. 2018; 90(13): e1126-e1133. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000005212.
- McCormack M…..EPIGEN Consortium;, Pirmohamed M, Carleton BC; Canadian Pharmacogenomics Network for Drug Safety;, Cendes F, Lopes-Cendes I, Liao WP, O'Brien TJ, Sisodiya SM; EpiPGX Consortium;, Cherny S, Kwan P, Baum L; International League Against Epilepsy Consortium on Complex Epilepsies;, Cavalleri GL. Genetic variation in CFH predicts phenytoin-induced maculopapular exanthema in European-descent patients. Neurology. 2018; 90(4):e332-e341. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000004853.
- Soraya GV, Chan J, Nguyen TC, Hyunh DC, Abeyrathne CD, Chana G, Todaro M, Skafidas E, Kwan P. An Interdigitated Electrode Biosensor Platform for Rapid HLA-B*15:02 Genotyping for Prevention of Drug Hypersensitivity. Biosensors Bioelectronics. 2018; 111:174-183. doi: 10.1016/j.bios.2018.01.063.
- Chen, Z., Brodie, M.J., Liew, D., Kwan, P. Treatment outcomes in patients with newly diagnosed epilepsy treated with established and new antiepileptic drugs a 30-year longitudinal cohort study. JAMA Neurology. 2018; 75(3):279-286. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2017.3949.
- Liu S, Shen Y, Shultz SR, Nguyen A, Hovens C, Adlard PA, Bush AI, Chan J, Kwan P, O’Brien TJ, Jones NC. Accelerated kindling epileptogenesis in Tg4510 tau transgenic mice, but not in tau knockout mice. Epilepsia. Accepted 20 June 2017.
- Shi YW, Min FL, Zhou D, Qin B, Wang J, Hu FY, Cheung YK, Zhou JH, Hu XS, Zhou JQ, Zhou LM, Zheng ZZ, Pan J, He N, Liu ZS, Hou YQ, Lim KS, Ou YM, Hui-Ping Khor A, Ng CC, Mao BJ, Liu XR, Li BM, Kuan YY, Yi YH, He XL, Deng XY, Su T, Kwan P, Liao WP. HLA-A*24:02 as a common risk factor for antiepileptic drug-induced cutaneous adverse reactions. Neurology. 2017; 88(23):2183-2191. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000004008.
- Perucca P, Scheffer IE, Harvey AS, James PA, Lunke S, Thorne N, Gaff C, Regan BM, Damiano JA, Hildebrand MS, Berkovic SF, O'Brien TJ, Kwan P. Real-world utility of whole exome sequencing with targeted gene analysis for focal epilepsy. Epilepsy Res. 2017; 131:1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2017.02.001.
- Chen Z, Liew D, Kwan P. Real-world cost-effectiveness of pharmacogenetic screening for epilepsy treatment. Neurology 2016; 86(12), 1086-94.
- Chan J, Jones NC, Bush AI, O’Brien TJ and Kwan P. A mouse model of Alzheimer's disease displays increased susceptibility to kindling and seizure-associated death. Epilepsia. 2015; 56(6): e73-7. doi: 10.1111/epi.12993.