Master of Medical Ultrasound
Master of Medical Ultrasound
(Course code M6005)
This course is offered by the Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences as a distance education course. The course is structured to enable exit at:
- Graduate Certificate in Medical Ultrasound (24 credit points)
- Graduate Diploma in Medical Ultrasound (48 credit points)
- Master of Medical Ultrasound (72 credit points)
The Graduate Certificate introduces the student to the introductory concepts of ultrasound and then enables a focus in a particular branch of clinical ultrasound. A Graduate Diploma is required to obtain accreditation with the Australian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (ASAR) which will enable the successful graduate to practise as a qualified sonographer. The Masters extension of the program enables development of advanced practice and research skills. The course resources are provided mainly on-line. The material is structured to guide the student through the material on a weekly schedule with exercises that ensure the course retains a clinical focus. This program is suited to applicants that have a clinical training position.
Please refer to the Find A Course website for details of the admission requirements.
When lodging an application please ensure it includes the following documents:
- Secondary education
- Tertiary education
- Proof of Australian citizenship, New Zealand citizenship or Australian permanant resident visa
All applicants are required to demonstrate that they meet the English language requirements.
NB: The Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences programs have higher English language requirements.
Suitably qualified International students wishing to undertake the Masters degree in their country of residence must also satisfy the Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences in respect to the appropriateness of their proposed ultrasound clinical training placement and clinical supervision. Approved international ultrasound clinical training placements in the past have been limited to Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand.
- The Graduate Diploma in Medical Ultrasound consists of 8 compulsory units. The program is accredited with the Australian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (ASAR).
- The Graduate Certificate can be constructed with SON4000 and SON4010 as foundation units and two further units of the student’s choice. These will be selected in liaison with the Course Convenor.
- The Masters program requires a further 2 units as noted in the structure above.
Please visit Find a Course for more information.
Following completion of the two foundation units (SON4000 and SON4010) students must be engaged in supervised clinical ultrasound training practice for a minimum of 3 days/week (or equivalent). It is the student's responsibility to secure their own clinical training placement. Please note; competition for limited clinical training placements is very high. Applicants from a non-imaging background are strongly advised to secure their clinical placement before undertaking this program. The university does not accept any responsibility for finding clinical placements.
Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
C129, Level 1, 10 Chancellors Walk
CLAYTON, VIC, 3800
Phone: 9902 4041
Email: Enquire Now
Tel: 1800 MONASH (within Australia)