Human biology short course
This course is designed using a systems based approach to provide participants with a broad and thorough introduction to the anatomical structures and physiological functions of the human body.
It is offered to those wishing to build on or refresh their knowledge of human biology for their own interest and/or professional development.
A background in human anatomy and physiology is a prerequisite for entry to most postgraduate health science courses. Successful completion of this Human Biology Short Course meets the criteria of previous study in human biology for acceptance into several graduate-entry health care courses at Monash University. (Including the Master of Nursing Practice, the Master of Occupational Therapy Practice, the Master of Medical Ultrasound and the Master of Medical Radiation.) Other prerequisites for the Master of Nursing Practice – Graduate Entry course also apply. Please refer to the course handbook.
Applicants can register for the Human Biology Short Course almost anytime during the year to complete the eight course modules with assessment quizzes via flexible online delivery. Course participants will also enjoy the support of an online tutor throughout.
Participants are expected to have their own access to the internet. Once registered, participants are provided with course login information for online course access. Participants have eight weeks to successfully complete the Human Biology Short Course once they have 'logged in' to the online learning site.
On completion of this course, the learner is expected to be able to:
- discuss basic concepts surrounding human anatomy and physiology.
- appropriately utilise anatomical terminology.
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the human structure and function, from a microscopic level up to viewing the body as a whole structure.
- relate the structure of the body systems and organs to their specific functions.
- describe body organisation and how the systems of the human body are integrated to maintain human life.
Eight online modules:
- Body organisation
- Homeostasis/structure and function of tissues and cells
- The integumentary, skeletal and muscular systems
- Cardiovascular system
- Respiratory and lymphatic and immune system
- Nervous system
- Urinary and endocrine system
- Reproductive and digestive system
|Required Text Book|
Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology (Global Edition) (11e)
Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology (Global Edition) (10e)
|Assessment||15 online quizzes of varying time limits. |
Students are allowed one attempt at each quiz
and are allowed to attempt a maximum of four quizzes each week.
|Mode of Delivery||Online, self directed study|
|Recognition||Participants will be issued with a certificate of completion|
|Prerequisites||There are no prerequisites|
|Estimated Time Commitment||96 hours (including self directed study time)|
|Course Fees||2018 Registrants: $766 (a 10% GST will be added at time of payment)|
2018 – 2019 Registrations in the Human Biology Short Course
Please note – the Human Biology Short Course online learning material
For further information and to apply:
Monash Nursing and Midwifery
Tel: +61 3 9905 3582
Md. Nadim Rahman
Lecturer, Monash Nursing and Midwifery