Renal Research Unit
The Eastern Health Integrated Renal Service (EHIRS) includes four haemodialysis units, an integrated home dialysis service, general nephrology, pre-dialysis clinics and renal in-patient care. Professor Lawrence McMahon has been principal investigator or co-investigator on numerous investigator-initiated and pharmaceutical-sponsored studies over the last 20 years.
A collaboration has been formed with Monash University ECRU (Eastern Clinical Research Unit) and several trials are underway or in development including:
- A randomised, placebo-controlled trial of oxpentifylline on haemoglobin levels in patients with erythropoietin-resistant anaemia.
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind Study Comparing De Novo Once Monthly and Once Every 2 Week Darbepoetin alfa Dosing for the Correction of Anaemia in Subjects With Chronic Kidney Disease Not Receiving Dialysis.
- An Open-label, Multicentre, Randomised, 3-arm Study to Investigate the Comparative Efficacy and Safety of Intravenous Ferric Carboxymaltose (Ferinject® High- and Low-dosage Regimens) versus Oral Iron for the Treatment of Iron Deficiency Anaemia in Subjects with Non-dialysis-dependent Chronic Kidney Disease .
- A Phase IIA, Randomized, Single-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Evaluate the Safety Pharmacokinetics, and Efficacy of 28-day Repeat Oral Doses of GSK1278863A in anemic pre-dialysis and hemodialysis dependent patients.
- Effect of combined strength training and psychological intervention on quality of life in prevalent haemodialysis patients.
- Professor Lawrence McMahon, Director
- Ms Mary Moore, PA to Director
- Dr Sanjeev Baweja, Research Fellow
- Ms Annette Kent, Study Co-ordinator
- Ms Amy Clements, Research Assistant
For more infotrmation concerning clinical trials please contact Annette Kent:
Phone: 61 3 9091 8871
Fax: 61 3 9899 6810