Use your Monash University ID card or Library member card to borrow from any of our Victorian campus libraries.
What you can borrow
Monash staff and students
- Undergraduates: 30 items initially for 2 weeks.
- Postgraduates, honours and staff: unlimited loans initially for 4 weeks.
- Eligible off-campus students and staff can have Library items sent directly to their address through the postal loan [personal delivery] service. An initial loan period of 4 weeks allows for postal delivery time each way.
- Online students are not eligible for postal loans.
Borrowing high-demand or restricted loan material
- High demand items may have a loan period of 14 days or less.
- Some materials have more restrictive loan conditions.
- For full details see Special materials.
Not a Monash student or staff? Learn about our membership options and what you can borrow:
Sign in and select 'My Loans' to check due dates of your loans, or view fines and hold requests.
After the initial borrowing period, items are automatically renewed unless
- it is requested by another user
- it is restricted material
- you have overdue loans
- you have reached the maximum loan period of 52 weeks.
You can check the status of your current loans, due dates, requests and fines in Search. Select 'Sign in' then 'My Loans'.
- You should also receive a courtesy email a few days before the end of your loan period.
- The item must be returned by the due date specified in My Loans or courtesy notice.
24/7 returns are available at all libraries.
During opening hours, you can return items using the return chutes available inside our libraries.
At any time, items can also be returned at our external chutes. Here's where you can find them:
- Caulfield Library: facing the main entrance, around the corner to the left, a few metres away on the wall facing Dandenong Road. Map view.
- Law Library (Clayton): facing the main entrance to the Law Building, on the left hand side. Map view.
- Hargrave-Andrew Library (Clayton): facing the main entrance, on the right hand wall, around the corner from the front entrance. Map view.
- Sir Louis Matheson Library (Clayton): facing the Eastern entrance (Robert Blackwood Hall side), on the right hand side wall. Map view.
- Peninsula Library: facing the main entrance, go left around the corner, at the top of the accessibility ramp. Map view.
- Pharmacy Library (Parkville): in the breezeway to the left of the main library entrance. Map view.
You can also post items to any of our branch libraries in Victoria. Check the address of the library.
- Fines will apply to all items that are overdue.
- It is your responsibility to return items by the due date.
- If you have an item that is overdue, you cannot borrow and other items you have on loan will no longer be automatically renewed.
- You can request items currently on loan or available at a different campus. Find the item in Search, select 'Get it', Request and then your pick-up location.
- You may not be able to request high demand and other restricted loan material.
- You can request Special Collections material to be picked up and viewed only in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- If you are designated as Off-campus, you can request the item be posted to your home [student] or office [staff]. Select "Personal Delivery" from the list of pick-up locations. You can return items at any of our libraries or pay for return post.
- You will receive an email when your requested item is ready for collection. Items awaiting collection are placed on the hold shelves at the pick up location under your name. You have 7 days to pick up the item after which it will be returned to the shelves.
- To cancel a request before it becomes available, select 'My Loans' then select 'Requests' to view a list of your requests. Select the 'Cancel' link as appropriate.
The Borrowing brochure summarises how to borrow from the Library.