SCS Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition
School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health (SCS) postgraduate students compete annually in the "Three Minute Thesis Competition (3MT)" offered in Australian universities. The students describe their research and its significance in a manner that is comprehensible to a non-specialist audience in just 3 minutes, with a single slide to illustrate key concepts. The School Finalists are selected by individual Departments & Centres, and they compete for a place in the Faculty's Final.
Developed by the University of Queensland, 3MT is an exciting research communication competition. The competition is a fantastic opportunity for students to showcase their research, develop communication skills, and connect with their peers. Participants also have the opportunity to win great prizes, and the Monash University winner will progress to the Asia-Pacific Virtual Final in October.
An 80,000 word PhD would take 9 hours to present...
YOU HAVE 3 MINUTES!
2022 3MT competition details
All graduate research students are encouraged to participate! We expect you to participate at least once during your candidature, as this is an important opportunity for your colleagues to hear about what you are doing. Students who are enrolled in a doctoral degree and have passed the confirmation milestone by the the 30th April 2022 can compete in round 1 & 2 heats (senior competitor) and continue onto the Faculty, University & National events.
SCS 3MT Final
The SCS 3MT final was held on Friday 17 June 11.55am. As they are every year, the prize winning presentations were amongst a competitive field. Congratulations to all participants of this year's 3MT competition! See winners below:
- 1st: Rana Sawires - Department of Paediatrics (Watch video)
- 2nd: Beth Piscopo - Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- 3rd: Corinne Davis - Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food
- 1st: Shaye Game - Department of Molecular and Translational Science (Hudson Institute)
- 2nd: Kristian Barry- Department of Molecular and Translational Science (Hudson Institute)
People's Choice Award
- Kristian Barry
Faculty 3MT key dates
- Registration closing date: Sunday 1 May (all senior competitors please register)
- Registration link
- Faculty Final: MNHS 3MT Week 24 June - 1 July 2022 (Video viewing)
- Faculty 3MT website
Monash 3MT key dates
- Monash Wildcard Competition: Monday 18 July (tentative date)
- Monash University Final: Week 22 Aug (tentative date)
- Monash 3MT website
Asia-Pacific Semi-Final and Final (Virtual)
- 26 Sep - 19 Oct 2022