The Geospatial Analysis group is co-headed by Prof Thanh Phan and A/Prof Richard Beare. The group has interest in all aspects of geospatial analysis including optimisation and spatiotemporal regression. The Gallery below includes application in health network design incorporating travel time, population and disease incidence data and spatial analysis of disease hot spots. For collaboration and student research projects, please contact either Prof Thanh Phan (thanh.phan at monash.edu) Or A/Prof Richard Beare (Richard.beare at monash.edu)
YouTube video (3:13min): Optimising emergency response times. Monash Infrastructure Seed Fund 2018
Find out more about the group
- Geospatial and Transport Modeling in Stroke Service Planning (e-book published December 2019)
Monash Infrastructure Seed Fund 2018: Exploring the impact of traffic congestion on responses to emergency codes by Ambulance Victoria.
Collaboration with Civil Engineering: Graham Curry, Hai Le Vu; Monash Ambulance Victoria: Karen Smith, Michael Stephenson, Andrew Clough.
Ambulance Victoria (AV) has a crucial role in responding to emergency calls in a timely manner, treating patients and transporting patients to the appropriate hospital. A less appreciated factor is the impact of traffic congestion on AV’s response to emergency codes (1-3) and subsequent impact on patient outcomes. The population in Melbourne is projected to grow from 4.7 million (2016) to 6.4 million in 2036, traffic congestion is likely to increase, impacting on ability of AV to meet its key performance indicators. This project explores the impact of traffic congestion on AV’s response to emergency codes (1-3). The project directly relates to transport and planning. Watch YouTube video (3:13min)
Agency for Clinical Innovation grant: Googling hubs for endovascular clot retrieval in New South Wales geospatial modeling, optimization and health economic analysis
Collaboration with Agency for Clinical Innovation: Kim Sutherland, Kate Jackson, Jennifer Pedler, Mathieu Lanthier-Veilleux, Kylie Tastula, Richard Lindley and Clare Quinn
At present, a centralised model for providing clot retrieval exists in Victoria but not in New South Wales. The grant will be used to develop a geospatial model for delivering clot retrieval service in New South Wales as well as telestroke service.
Web-based app to estimate cost of visiting hospital outpatient
Collaboration with Information Technology: Rodion Sharlov, David Taniar
The aim of this project is to create a web-based app to estimate the cost of visiting hospital outpatient given a constraint on time and budget. The app will estimate cost for visiting by car, uber, taxi and public transport.
- McTaggart R, ..Phan TG, Beare RB et al.Leaving No LVO Stroke Behind: reorganizing stroke systems of care to improve timely access to endovascular therapy. Stroke (ID: STROKE/2019/026735R2 accepted 12/5/20)
- Phan TG, Beare R, Kamal N. Editorial: Geospatial and Transport Modeling in Stroke Service Planning. Front Neurol. 2019 Oct 1;10:1057. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.01057. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31681144
- Phan TG, Ma H, Lim R, Sobey CG, Wallace EM. Phase 1 Trial of Amnion Cell Therapy for Ischemic Stroke. Front Neurol. 2018 Jun 7;9:198. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.00198. eCollection 2018. PMID: 299305
- Phan TG, Beare R, Srikanth V, Ma H. Googling Location for Operating Base of Mobile Stroke Unit in Metropolitan Sydney. Front Neurol. 2019 Aug 6;10:810. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00810. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31447755
- Padgham M, Boeing G, Cooley D, Tierney N, Sumner M, Phan TG, Beare R. An Introduction to Software Tools, Data, and Services for Geospatial Analysis of Stroke Services. Front Neurol. 2019 Aug 7;10:743. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00743. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31440197
- Phan TG, Beare R, Srikanth V, Ma H. Googling Service Boundaries for Endovascular Clot Retrieval (ECR) Hub Hospitals in Metropolitan Sydney. Front Neurol. 2019 Jul 2;10:708. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00708. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31333564
- Tajaddini A, Phan TG, Beare R, Ma H, Srikanth V, Currie G, Vu HL. Application of Strategic Transport Model and Google Maps to Develop Better Clot Retrieval Stroke Service. Front Neurol. 2019 Jun 28;10:692. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00692. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31316457
- Phan TG, Beare R, Parsons M, Zhao H, Davis S, Donnan GA, Srikanth V, Ma H. Googling Boundaries for Operating Mobile Stroke Unit for Stroke Codes. Front Neurol. 2019 Apr 4;10:331. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00331. eCollection 2019.PMID: 31019489
- Cole J, Beare R, Phan TG, Srikanth V, MacIsaac A, Tan C, Tong D, Yee S, Ho J, Layland J. Staff Recall Travel Time for ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction Impacted by Traffic Congestion and Distance: A Digitally Integrated Map Software Study. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2018 Jan 8;4:89. doi: 10.3389/fcvm.2017.00089. eCollection 2017. PMID: 29359134
- Phan TG, Beare R, Chen J, Clissold B, Ly J, Singhal S, Ma H, Srikanth V.
Googling Service Boundaries for Endovascular Clot Retrieval Hub Hospitals in a Metropolitan Setting: Proof-of-Concept Study. Stroke. 2017 Mar 29. pii: STROKEAHA.116.015323. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.015323. PMID: 28356438