How to apply
To apply for a graduate research degree and/or a graduate research scholarship, or to find out more about the application process and entry requirements, please follow the steps below:
Doctor of Philosophy
The minimum qualifications for admission to PhD candidature are:
- a bachelor's degree requiring at least four years of full-time study in a relevant field, and which normally includes a research component in the fourth year, leading to an honours 1 or 2A in a relevant field;
- a course leading to a level rated by the relevant department, faculty and committee as equivalent to an honours 1 or 2A in a relevant field;
- a master's degree that entails work, normally including a significant research component, including at least 25% of one full time equivalent year of work, including a thesis. It is normally expected that a grade of honours 2A has been obtained for the research thesis or project. Where ungraded, examiners' reports will be taken into account; or
- have qualifications which in the opinion of GRC are deemed equivalent.
Applicants must also satisfy Monash University's minimum English language proficiency requirements for admission to this research degree.
English entry requirements
Please refer to the Handbook for Doctoral Degrees for comprehensive information on English language requirements.
Masters by Research (Master of Philosophy and Master of Science (Research)
(Monash Malaysia ONLY))
The minimum qualifications for admission to Masters by Research are:
- a bachelors degree requiring at least four years of full-time study, and which normally includes a research component in the fourth year with upper H2B (a mark of 65 or above) in an honours year in a relevant field; or
- a master’s degree in a relevant field that entails work, normally including a significant research component, at least equivalent to an honours degree (a ‘significant research component’ in a master’s degree will vary from discipline to discipline). It is normally expected that at a minimum, a grade of upper 2B (with an overall mark of at least 65 or above) has been obtained for the research thesis or project. Where ungraded, examiners' reports will be taken into account; or
- have qualifications which in the opinion of the GRC are deemed equivalent.
English entry requirements
Please refer to Handbook for Research Master’s Degrees for comprehensive information on English language requirements.
Higher Doctorate (Doctor of Science)
For more information please click here.
Please click here to Find a Supervisor to your specific area.
Complete an Expression of Interest (EOI) and you may receive an invitation to apply.
Expression of Interest
Submitting an Expression of Interest is easy: Find a prospective supervisor and then select the corresponding School for that supervisor.
Follow the guidelines for that School on how to submit your Expression of Interest.
When expressing your interest please ensure to provide the following:
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Academic Transcripts (Certified English Translation)
- IELTS/TOEFL test results (if applicable) (MUST have been completed within two years of proposed commencement date)
- Publications, Awards, References
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of relevant Work Experience
Note: If the relevant School requires you submit an Expression of Interest via a Google form, you will be asked to provide a URL to a single pdf consisting of the supporting documents listed above, shared via Google drive (https://drive.google.com).
Please ensure under sharing settings you enable “all” to view the documents.
Please note: The EOI closing date is 3 weeks prior to the closing date of the relevant Monash University postgraduate scholarship round.
INTERNATIONAL (Round 1)
opens 1 September, closes 31 March
DOMESTIC (Round 2)
opens 1 November, closes 31 May
INTERNATIONAL (Round 3)
opens 1 April, closes 31 August
DOMESTIC (Round 4)
opens 1 June, closes 31 October
Invitation to apply
By submitting an EOI, you may be issued with an 'invitation to apply' via email which entitles you to proceed to formally apply for admission to a graduate research degree and scholarships.
Should you be issued with an 'invitation to apply', you MUST upload it to the online application form as evidence of successfully completing an EOI.
Please note: An 'invitation to apply' is NOT an offer of admission to a graduate research degree NOR an offer of scholarship.
Both domestic and international applicants can use this form to apply.
Please refer to the Step-by-step application guide to assist you with your online application.
Applications may be made at any time throughout the year. However, please note that the application rounds for the Monash University Graduate Research Scholarship Scheme close on 31 May and 31 October for domestic applicants and 31 March and 31 August for international students.
Click here for more information about how to accept your offer.