Monash Sport Social Sport Basketball will follow the Official Basketball Rules of FIBA.
Mixed basketball Rules
In addition to the official basketball rules of FIBA the following policies apply to all mixed basketball competitions:
- There can be no more than three (3) male players on the court at any one time.
- The maximum amount an individual player may score is fifteen (15) points. However, if a player is less than fifteen points and exceeds this total from his/her last shot, these points will count. It is the score table’s responsibility to inform the player if they have scored fifteen points, and further points from this individual will not be rewarded to the player/team. However, once all players reach ten (10) points, this rule resets and repeats itself.
Any player committing either a Technical or Unsportsmanlike foul will be placed in the sin bin.
The Sin Bin is a 5 minute period of playing time.
- The player may sit on the team bench during this time
- A sin binned player may be replaced by a substitute if one exists
- If a team only has 5 players then they will play with 4 for the time the player is off
- A second similar offence by the same player will result in the player being disqualified from the game
- If a player is disqualified from a game a mandatory 1 game suspension will apply to that player
Each team is required to provide a scorer each week.
We require all basketball teams to provide a scorer (which may be a benched player), teams must provide a scorer otherwise the game will not start. This may mean that a team who only has 5 players turn up will have a player score and start the match with only 4 players on the court until an additional player arrives.