Basketball Rules of Competition
Monash Sport Social Sport Basketball will follow the Official Basketball Rules of FIBA.
3x3 basketball rules
Mixed basketball rules
In addition to the official basketball rules of FIBA the following policies apply to all mixed basketball competitions:
- There can be no more than three (3) male players on the court at any one time.
- The maximum amount an individual player may score is fifteen (15) points. However, if a player is less than fifteen points and exceeds this total from his/her last shot, these points will count. It is the score table’s responsibility to inform the player if they have scored fifteen points, and further points from this individual will not be rewarded to the player/team. However, once all players reach ten (10) points, this rule resets and repeats itself.
Open Basketball: There are no limitations on the gender make up of teams. The team may be single-gender or mixed-gender, however, no mixed rules apply.
Please note: Teams must wear the same coloured (matching) tops. All players wearing shorts must wear shorts without pockets.
Length of Game
Monash Social Sport Basketball competitions are played in 17minute halves. The clock will run continuously until the last 2 minutes of each half. The half time break is two minutes. The game time may be stopped due to injury at the umpire's discretion.
The clock will start at the commencement of the game time. If a team is running late once the clock has started 1 point will be added to the opponents score for every minute the game is delayed starting. If the game has not commenced by the time it has reached 15 points the game will result in a forfeit.
Timeouts 1 timeout per team each half is allowed. No time outs allowed in the last two minutes of the first half allowed in the last two minutes of the second half.
Any player committing either a Technical or Unsportsmanlike foul will be placed in the sin bin.
The Sin Bin is a 5 minute period of playing time.
- The player may sit on the team bench during this time
- A sin-binned player may be replaced by a substitute if one exists
- If a team only has 5 players then they will play with 4 for the time the player is off
- A second similar offence by the same player will result in the player being disqualified from the game
- If a player is disqualified from a game a mandatory 1 game suspension will apply to that player
Each team is required to provide a scorer each week.
All basketball teams are to provide a scorer (which may be a benched player). A team who only has 5 players turn up will have a player score and start the match with only 4 players on the court until an additional player arrives.