Risk Management and Safe Work Instructions
It is essential that staff and students are not injured while working or studying at Monash University. All activities that will involve considerable risk to health and safety must be assessed using a risk assessment. Additionally, actions must be taken to reduce the risk.
Risk assessments must be be completed in SARAH using the WHS Risk Register module.
Depending on your user account, please navigate to either of the following Risk Register tiles in SARAH.
Centrally Managed Risk Assessments
These are developed by Monash OH&S for common activities as deemed appropriate and approved by the Manager, OH&S. A list of these can be found at the following link.
How to conduct a Risk Assessment
- Tutorial videos - learn how to enter and submit a risk assessment; view existing risks; review or approve a risk assessment.
- Twelve hazards video - 12 practical questions to ask yourself to help identify and manage risks.
- OHS Risk Assessment Guide - provides a summary on how to select the risk factors in SARAH.
- OHS Classifications - provides a summary of the classifications available in SARAH.
- Naming Guide - has information on naming your risk assessments to assist in searching for them.
- Reviewing Risk Assessments - a quick guide to assist you in reviewing your risk assessments.
- Archiving Risk Assessments - a quick guide to assist you when archiving risk assessments that are no longer required.
The OHS risk management procedure defines the requirements for risk management at Monash University.
Additional guidelines for specific hazards are outlined below:
- Risk Management Guidelines: Ergonomics and Manual Handling
- Risk Management Guidelines: Chemical
- Risk Management Guidelines: Radiation (under review)
- Risk Management Guidelines: Biological