Registrations for the Monash 10,000 Steps Challenge 2015 - Let's Explore Italy will open on Monday, 28 September, with the challenge commencing on the 26 October 2015. Monash staff, students and their family and friends will all have the opportunity to participate.
The Challenge asks staff and students to form teams of eight and participate by doing 10,000 steps a day and tracking their progress in a virtual walk around a selected destination.
This year the challenge will take on a virtual walk of more than two million steps around beautiful Italy starting from the historical city of Naples and finishing in the beautiful city of Prato, Florence.
Walking 10,000 steps every day
10,000 steps is the recommended level of activity for a healthy adult. It is about eight kilometres or one hour and 40 minutes walking, depending on your stride length and walking speed. Read the latest ABS Australian Health survey - pedometer research report.
To reach the 10,000-step goal, you will need to do a 30-minute walk on top of your normal daily activities. You can count swimming, going to the gym, playing tennis or other activities by converting them into steps, as follows:
- 10 minutes of moderate intensity activity = 1000 steps
- 10 minutes of high intensity activity = 2000 steps
Moderate intensity activity causes a slight but noticeable increase in breathing and heart rate. Examples are swimming, cycling, horse riding, rowing, dancing, active gardening (mowing, raking, digging).
High intensity activity makes you huff and puff and talking during this activity is difficult. Examples are circuit training, aerobics, brisk rowing, fast cycling, jogging, competitive sport (squash, netball, football).
The Monash 10,000 Steps Challenge puts a focus on the accumulation of activity across the day. To reach it and maintain it afterwards, we need to make choices to be more active. Learn more about how to get active at Monash and at home.
- GLOBAL walk/run event
- Organise a Staff Wellbeing & Activity Program (SWAP) in your department
- Enjoy the lunchtime sun with a stroll around campus with campus walking maps (pdf 1620kb) or the Sustainable campus walking tour map
- Monash Sport facilities on campus
- Monash Sport membership options for staff
- Hang a Take the stairs: motivational poster by your lift call button
- Start a walking group in your department
- Download a free seven day trial at Monash Sport
- Schedule a walking meeting
- Remove the bin from your desk so you have to walk to the next bin
- Stand and take a break from your computer every 30 minutes
- Eat lunch away from your desk
- Get up off the couch and walk around the house during the TV ad breaks
- Pack a picnic or the cricket set and take your family to enjoy one of the many picturesque parks and gardens around Melbourne and Victoria
Contact for inquiries
Telephone: 990 51021 or 990 51016 or 990 20856