The Monash 10,000 Steps Challenge asks staff and students to form teams of eight and participate by doing 10,000 steps a day and tracking their progress in a virtual walk around a selected destination.
The 2015 challenge will commence in October 2015.
Why 10,000 steps?
10,000 steps is the recommended level of activity for a healthy adult. It is about eight kilometres or one hour and 40 minutes walking, depending on your stride length and walking speed.
This challenge puts a focus on the accumulation of activity across the day. To reach it and maintain it afterwards, we need to make choices to be more active:
- GLOBAL walk/run event
- Monash Sport facilities on campus
- Monash Sport membership options for staff
- Hang a Take the stairs: motivational poster by your lift call button
- Start a walking group in your department
- Organise a Staff Wellbeing & Activity Program (SWAP) in your department
- Download a free seven day trial at Monash Sport
- Enjoy the lunchtime sun with a stroll around campus with campus walking maps (pdf 1620kb) or the Sustainable campus walking tour map
- Schedule a walking meeting
- Remove the bin from your desk so you have to walk to the next bin
- Stand and take a break from your computer every 30 minutes
- Eat lunch away from your desk
- Get up off the couch and walk around the house during the TV ad breaks
- Pack a picnic or the cricket set and take your family to enjoy one of the many picturesque parks and gardens around Melbourne and Victoria
Contact for inquiries
Telephone: 990 51021 or 990 51016 or 990 20856