- Phil has been awarded Halász Medal Award 2021. Presented by the Hungarian Society for Separation Sciences, 18 Oct 2021, at the 25th anniversary of the Foundation of the Hungarian Society for Separation Sciences.
- Phil has been awarded a Visiting Professorship, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UCSI University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2021-2023.
- Phil is presenting a lecture course and workshop at the School of Science & Technology, Prince of Songkla University, Pattani Campus, Thailand, 2022.
- Phil has been awarded the COLACRO Medal 2019. Presented by the Organising Committee of the XVII COLACRO Meeting (LATIN AMERICAN SYMPOSIUM ON CHROMATOGRAPHY AND RELATED TECHNIQUES), Aracaju, Sergipe, Brazil. 15 July 2019. For contribution to the Development of Chromatography in Latin America.
- Ms Shezmin Izmail (PhD student) won the annual Monash Chemistry 3MT competition in 2018.
- Dr Yada Nolvachai (Postdoc) won the inaugural E Kováts Award 2017, an international award given to a recently completed PhD student (within the last 2 years) for the best PhD thesis. Adjudged by the Hungarian Chemical Society.
- Ms Renée Webster (PhD student), one of six early career researchers (ECRs) represented Australia at the 9th JSPS HOPE Meeting in Tokyo, Japan in Feb 2017. She was nominated by the Defence Science and Technology Group, where she currently works as a Research Chemist. HOPE Meetings provide a venue for promising ECRs to engage with fellow young researchers in the Asia-Pacific and Africa region, as well as with Nobel laureates and other prominent scientists in different fields.
- Phil has been awarded International Guest Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, Brawijaya University, Malang, Indonesia Oct 2017.
- Phil has been awarded the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies (FACS) Foundation Lectureship for 2017. This year, the award category is Analytical Chemistry, which rotates through the 4 main areas of chemistry. This award is granted to "an eminent chemist who has made distinctive contributions to the profession of chemistry." Phil has been invited to present the Foundation Award lecture during the 17th Asian Chemical Congress held on 23-28 July 2017 hosted by the Royal Australian Chemical Institute at Melbourne Convention Centre.
- Ms Giselle Pacot (PhD student) has spent 2 months working in the laboratory of Prof Shane Snyder at University of Arizona, USA, May-June 2017.
- Mr Yong Foo Wong (PhD student) visited the laboratories of Prof Luigi Mondello, University of Messina, Italy for 2 months in early 2017 and carried out research on comprehensive liquid chromatography coupled with MS-MS. Phil also visited the research laboratories for 2 weeks.
- Phil has recently visited the laboratories of Prof Elena Stashenko, Industrial University of Santander, Bucaramanga, Colombia and was invited speaker at The First Flavor and Fragrance Conference, Cartagena, Colombia, May 2017.
- Presentations were made by Phil, Ms Giselle Pacot, Mr Yong Foo Wong and Dr Chadin Kulsing, and on behalf of Ms Dandan Yan and Dr Yada Nolvachai, at the 41st International Capillary Chromatography & 14th GCxGC Symposium held in Fort Worth, Texas USA, May 2017.
- First Prize for the 2016 Richard D. Sacks Award goes to Mohommad Sharif Khan for his poster at ISCC-39 & GC×GC-13, Riva del Garda, Italy 2016
- Third prize for the 2016 Richard D. Sacks Award goes to Dandan Yan for her poster at ISCC-39 & GC×GC-13, Riva del Garda, Italy 2016
- Mr Yong Wong (PhD student) is visiting Monash Malaysia and Forest Research Institute of Malaysia (FRIM) for several weeks under a Cross Campus Interfaculty grant 2016
- Phil has just spent 4 weeks in Brazil as part of the CNPq Distinguished Visiting Researcher award for 2015-2017. He was interviewed there by the national Brazil newspaper Oglobo about his research.
- Phil was recently awarded an ARC Linkage grant for 2016-2018 as lead Chief Investigator with A/P Bayden Wood and Dr S T Chin as CIs. The title is 'New hyphenated chromatographic and spectroscopic methods for oil analysis' and the ARC awarded $213,000 for this 3 year project.
- Ms Yada Novolchai (PhD student) spent 5 weeks in June 2015 in the Research laboratory of Dr Dan Armstrong in USA working on IL development.
- Dr Chadin Kulsing (Postdoc) recently worked in the UTas ACROSS laboratories.
Renée Webster: Renée was selected to attend the JSPS HOPE meeting with Nobel Laureates, in Tokyo, Japan 2017
Yada Nolvachai: Yada won the inaugural E Kováts Award 2017, an international award given to the best PhD thesis in the area of Separation Science. Adjudged by the Hungarian Chemical Society
Dandan Yan: Dandan visited the laboratory of Prof Lin Jin-Ming, Tsinghua University, for an extended research exchange, learning LC and MS technologies.
Chadin Kulsing: Chadin has recently joined the teaching Faculty at the Department of Chemistry, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.
Giselle Pacot: Giselle undertook her GRIPS internship in the lab of Prof Shane Snyder An Agilent Thought Leader University of Arizona, on PPCP analysis
Yong Foo Wong: Wong has recently joined the teaching Faculty at the School of Chemistry, Universiti Sains Malaysia, in Penang.
Philip Marriott: Phil was awarded the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies, Foundation Lectureship Award (2017), in Analytical Chemistry. Presented at the RACI 100 Centenary Congress
Philip Marriott: Phil was awarded the COLACRO Medal, 2019. Presented by the Organising Committee of the XVII COLACRO Meeting (LATIN AMERICAN SYMPOSIUM ON CHROMATOGRAPHY AND RELATED TECHNIQUES), Aracaju, Sergipe, Brazil. 15 July 2019. For contribution to the Development of Chromatography in Latin America.
Open Day Photos:
Phil discussing tests used for perfume analysis based on the instruments in our lab
Chadin explaining the Uni of Pennsylvania smell identification test
Wine & Coffee Aroma Visitors get to test different odours and fragrances such as rotten egg or cork odour that can arise in wine, or leather or vanilla aroma that can develop in wine and coffee.
- Dr PierLuigi Delmonte, USFDA
- Mr Kenny Choo, Curtin University, Western Australia, PhD researcher
- Mr Federico Floris (Warwick University & Pfizer, UK)
- Prof Ademario Iris da Silva Jr., (Federal University for Education, Science and Technology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Professor Alexandra Ribeiro (New University of Lisbon, Portugal)
- Dr Eduardo Mateus (New University of Lisbon, Portugal)
- Ms Izabel Cardeal (University of São Paolo, Brazil)
- Mr Calvin Goh, Monash Malaysia, PhD researcher
- Ms Katarzyna Owczarek, Gdansk University of Technology, PhD researcher
- Ms Anna Lipphardt, University of Munster, MSc researcher
- Ms Luisa Seyerlein, University of Munster, MSc researcher
- Prof Melek Merdivan, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, visiting sabbatical researcher
- Mr Sebastian Weber, University of Leipzig, Germany, PhD researcher
- Ms Raissa Mastello, Master candidate, Uni Estadual Paulista Júlio de Mesquita Filho, UNESP, Brazil
- Ms Michely Capobiango, PhD candidate, Federal University of University of Minas Gerais Brazil
- Ms Sabrina Kroger, Master candidate, University of Münster, Germany
- Ms Rachel West, Undergraduate student, University of Warwick, UK
- Ms Marcella Casagrande, UFRGS Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sol, Brazil
- Ms Laura Kreig, Germany
- Dr Asia Nosheen (Pakistan)
- Ms Celale Kirkin (Istanbul University of Technology, Turkey)
- Dr Charles West (University of Plymouth)
- Dr Constanze Hartmann (Erlangen University)
- Dr Xiangping Liu (China Centres for Disease Control & Protection, Nanjing, China)
- Dr Ming Jiang (Huazhong University of Science Technology, China)
- Mr Zhi Hong Tay (Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore)
- Ms Siriluck Pojjanaponpun (Care) (KMUTT, Thailand)
- Prof Shen Sung (Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine)
Maria Fernanda S. Mota, Habtewold D. Waktola, Yada Nolvachai, Philip J. Marriott. Gas chromatography ‒ mass spectrometry for characterisation, assessment of quality and authentication of seed and vegetable oils. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 138 (2021) 116238
Riley Herron, Anna Lipphardt, Luisa Euler, Yada Nolvachai and Philip J Marriott. Person-Portable Gas Chromatography-Toroidal Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry for Coffee Bean Aroma. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 473 (2022) 116797.
DanDan Yan, Yong Foo Wong, Robert A. Shellie, Philip J. Marriott, Simon P. Whittock, Anthony Koutoulis. Assessment of the phytochemical profiles of novel hop (Humulus lupulus L.) cultivars: A potential route to beer crafting. Food Chemistry 275 (2019) 15–23.
DanDan Yan, Yong Foo Wong, Simon P. Whittock, Anthony Koutoulis, Robert A. Shellie, Philip J. Marriott. Sequential Hybrid Three-Dimensional Gas Chromatography with Accurate Mass Spectrometry: A Novel Tool for High-Resolution Characterization of Multicomponent Samples. Analytical Chemistry. 90 (8) (2018) 5264-5271.
Giselle Mae M. Pacot, Lyn May Lee, Sung Tong Chin and Philip J. Marriott. A Training Exercise in Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry and Determination of Kerosene Components. Journal of Chemical Education, 93 (2016) 742−746.
Carin von Mühlen and Philip J. Marriott. Transfer of one-dimensional chromatographic methods to comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography and good practices to experimental quality control. Scientia Chromatographia 8 (2016) 63-77
Philip John Marriott and Carin von Mühlen. The modulation ratio in comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography: a review of fundamental and practical considerations (A razão de modulação em cromatografia gasosa bidimensional abrangente: uma revisão de aspectos fundamentais e práticos). Scientia Chromatographia 8 (2016) 7-23
Raíssa Bittar Mastello, Michely Capobiango, Sung-Tong Chin, Magali Monteiro, Philip J. Marriott. Identification of odour-active compounds of pasteurised orange juice using multidimensional gas chromatography techniques. Food Research International. 75 (2015) 281-288
Michely Capobiango, Raíssa Bittar Mastello, Sung-Tong Chin, Evelyn de Souza Oliveira Lopes, Zenilda Lourdes Cardeal, Philip J. Marriott. Identification of aroma-active volatiles in banana terra spirit using multidimensional gas chromatography with simultaneous mass spectrometry and olfactometry detection. Journal of Chromatography A. 1388, (2015) 227-235
Sabrina Kroger, Yong Foo Wong, Sung-Tong Chin, Jacob Grant, David Lupton and Philip J. Marriott. Evaluation of dynamic interconversion of enantiomers in comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography using enantioselective columns in both first and second dimensions. Journal of Chromatography A. 1404 (2015) 104-114
Yong Foo Wong, Rachel N. West, Sung-Tong Chin, and Philip J. Marriott. Evaluation of Fast Enantioselective Multidimensional Gas Chromatography Methods for Monoterpenic Compounds: Authenticity Control of Australian Tea Tree Oil. Journal of Chromatography A. 1406 (2015) 307–315
Rachel West, Yong Foo Wong and Philip J. Marriott. Enantioselective Multidimensional Gas Chromatography for the Analysis of Selected Monoterpenic Compounds in Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) oil. Reinvention: an International Journal of Undergraduate Research. 8 (2) 2015.