Think enterprising and you think Monash. We have a long and proud distinguished history of ground breaking translational research, that together with our partners, has changed the world. The enviable list includes IVF, Monash FODMAP diet, development of rapid blood tests to diagnose COVID 19 and in the energy field the paradigm changing development of green ammonia for energy storage - just to name a few.
Our research results in commercial success because of our world leading research, research platforms, and engagement with world leading partners to create these opportunities. Many successes seem to happen overnight and some are many years in the making.
Partners choose to be based on or near, our campuses to be at the forefront of opportunity. Formed in partnership with the Victorian government, this is known as the Monash Technology Precinct.
In addition to commercial success, start-ups are nurtured, entrepreneurialism is encouraged and students gain valuable learning and professional experience and talent pools are cultivated for future workforces.
Our research and partnerships
- 150+ active fields of research supported by 30+ research platforms encouraging research translation and commercialisation.
- The Monash Technology Precinct contributes $9.4 billion annually to the Victorian economy. The Precinct hosts a number of hubs and cluster.
- A significant area of expertise is the Monash Health Translation Hub boasting partners including the Victorian Heart Hospital, Monash Health, The Alfred Hospital, Peninsula Health. Another cluster is the Monash Smart Manufacturing Hub and we are very proud that this includes major industry partnerships with Engie and the Woodside Monash Energy Partnership.
- Monash University reported a research income of $539.3 million in 2020. (Based on income reported to Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC)).
- Our accelerator program ‘The Generator’ develops student and alumni entrepreneurial talent, and since 2017, we've had 1,141 participants fully complete one of the four programs and supported 455 startup projects through these programs.