VC’s Excellence Awards recognise outstanding leaders
Monash has recognised the outstanding contributions of the University's leaders in research, learning and teaching at the 2020 Vice-Chancellor's Education and Research Awards.
The annual awards acknowledged the quality of innovation and excellence in education and research during one of the most challenging years in living memory.
Monash University President and Vice-Chancellor Professor Margaret Gardner AC said despite 2020 being such a challenging year, it was important to recognise and celebrate what has been accomplished.
“To acknowledge the quality of what has been achieved through these awards is part of a broader recognition of superlative efforts of staff,” she said.
“These achievements epitomise the talent and potential of our University, as they continue to develop and enhance innovation and excellence in research, learning and teaching.”
Four categories were awarded in Education, and five in Research.
Professor Robert Brooks, from the Faculty of Business and Economics, and Professor Huanting Wang, from the Faculty of Engineering, were also inducted into the Monash Honour Roll.
Professor Susan Elliott, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice President (Education), said the awards were an opportunity to recognise individuals and teams who are innovative and uplift education excellence at Monash
Professor Rebekah Brown, Senior Vice-Provost and Vice-Provost (Research), said so many researchers had worked through a very difficult year and continued to produce outstanding work – all at a time when the world needs research more than ever.
“I’m really proud of how so many Monash researchers continue to pursue high quality, interdisciplinary and collaborative research, not just to address this pandemic, but to help us build a better, more sustainable, inclusive and prosperous future in 2020 and beyond,” she said.
Full list of award recipients:
1. CITATIONS FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS TO STUDENT LEARNING
- Team of Professor Helen Abud, A/Prof Priscilla Johanesen & Ms Danielle Rhodes - Faculty Of Medicine, Nursing And Health Sciences
- Dr Ewilly Liew - School of Business, Malaysia
- A/Prof Vai –Lam Mui - Faculty Of Business And Economics
- Early Career Category - Dr Erin Leif Faculty Of Education
- Teaching Associate Category - Mr Marco Lecci Faculty Of Business And Economics
2. TEACHING EXCELLENCE
- Associate Professor Michelle Lazarus - Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Dr Felix Joachim Nobis - Faculty of Arts
- Associate Professor Jane Terpstra Tong - School of Business, Malaysia
3. INNOVATION IN LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Technology category - Mr Tristan Cui, Ms Charanjit Kaur, Ms Julie Luu - Faculty of Business and Economic
- Curriculum Category - Associate Professor Ramesh Nataraja - Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Special Commendation - Technology category - Lightboard team Team members are: Dr Lincoln Turner, Dr Russell Anderson, Dr Philip Starkey, Mr Joshua Morris, Dr Jasmina Lazendic-Galloway, Mr Steve Morton, Ms Barbara Macfarlan, Ms Stephanie Luo & Mr Cameron Nichol - Faculty Science and Faculty of Business and Economic
4. HONOURS SUPERVISION
- Associate Professor Grace Hooi Yean Lee - School of Business, Malaysia
1. RESEARCH EXCELLENCE BY AN EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER (HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES)
- Dr Kathy Smith- Faculty of Education
2. RESEARCH EXCELLENCE BY AN EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- Associate Professor Zoe McQuilten - Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
3. RESEARCH ENTERPRISE
- Professor Michelle McIntosh - Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
4. RESEARCH IMPACT (ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL IMPACT)
- Dr Brian Martin - Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture
5. EXCELLENCE IN POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SUPERVISION
- Professor Tom Drummond - Faculty of Engineering
MONASH HONOUR ROLL
- Professor Robert Brooks - Faculty of Business and Economics
- Professor Huanting Wang - Faculty of Engineering